News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Empty Hearts Fuzz

Started by diablochris6, July 30, 2014, 11:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diablochris6

To test my sanity, I decided to give another go at building a 1590a, but this time with TWO boards and TWO extra switches. I call it the Empty Hearts Fuzz which is a modified version of Devi Ever's BIT: The Legend of Fuzz. I split the design into the two individual fuzz circuits (the Silver Crank and GZ), and added the two toggles to turn one fuzz on at a time or both in series for the BIT fuzz sound. I used my Eagle-fu to utilize dual-gang pots to control both effects to keep the knob count low. I swapped out a cap because I was having a hard time getting any sound out of my high E through the GZ circuit. The first stage is a nice distortion sound, much more usable than I usually think DE pedals are. The secdond stage is a squashy, dark fuzz. Together, they give a good squelchy fuzz sound.

Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

stecykmi

well done! those jacks look mighty close by the way!

diablochris6

They are extremely close! I had to do a lot of careful planning/drilling to get those toggles in there. I had to make sure that the nuts on the jacks are extra tight to ensure they don't slip and touch each other!

TGP39

I've been using those 'star' washers when I don't want my jacks to turn at all. Is this a good idea or just a waste of money?
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

wgc

I like the vertical pcbs, very cool

I don't use the star washers but can't see how it would hurt
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

jimilee

Wow, that's amazing. I've built 2 1590a builds so far and the second one I didn't even put a stomp in it, it's just on all the time. Kudos to yoi
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

davent

Quote from: TGP39 on July 31, 2014, 01:55:04 AM
I've been using those 'star' washers when I don't want my jacks to turn at all. Is this a good idea or just a waste of money?

Good idea, they imbed into the  jack/enclosure and you get a nice oxygen free weld and a great ground connection... as a bonus they help keep your nuts tight.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

diablochris6

The star shaped locking washers would be a great idea. Too bad I didn't have any lying around.
For those interested in how the dual gang pots control both circuits. I attached the pots to the larger board and created a third row of pads that connect to the middle row where the pot attaches. I then used wire jumpers to connect those pads to the pot pads on the other board.

Leevibe

Very clever build man. Well done! I have to run my jacks like that when I do 1590LB builds.

lincolnic