News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Serendipity sounds... nasal.

Started by eldanko, April 26, 2011, 07:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldanko

Hey guys -

Been tinkering with my Serendipity build lately, and it sounds pretty nasal to me.  Based on several reviews and audio/video demos, I was expecting something considerably smoother sounding.  I'm currently running it with an OPA2604 opamp, but I've also tried a TLC2272 and an NJM4580 with similar results.  Current theories:

1) I used Topmay Box Caps for C1 and C5, but just noticed that several people use Sprague Orange Drop caps here.  Will switching those make a pretty big difference?

2) If I were to have mistakenly switched the tone and voice pots, could that cause it?  (I don't think I did, just trying to think of any possibilities.)

I will try to get a gut shot up soon as well as a video demo to better explain what I'm hearing.  In the meantime, any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks!
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

gtr2

What are you playing with/through.  I've found this pedal doesn't always suit my tastes depending on the guitar/amp combo.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

eldanko

It sounds good through my Tophat running EL34s.  It sounds ok through my Morgan running EL84s.  It sounds like butt through my Super Reverbs.  I guess part of my confusion stems from the fact that everyone seems to rave about this pedal through a clean Fender.

eldanko

All right friends...

Here's a gut shot, if that helps.  Now... thoughts, anyone?

???

gtr2

FWIW I don't like it through my clean blues jr.  I know it's a little different beast compared to a super reverb but this is why it doesn't  reside on my pedal board right now...

A sound clip could help though...
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jkokura

While the OPA series IC's are often really great, it may be that in this particular instance it is not the best option to replace the AD712. Do you have any other IC's to try out? I liked the LM1458 with my 70's Vibro Champ.

Your build looks fairly good, but i'm a little curious how those wires got a little damaged. Is there any other melted spots that might make the wire compromised?

Which mosfets did you use as well? You've got them socketed, so if you didn't use 2N7000's you could try replacing them with the correct transistors.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

eldanko

gtr - Doing my best to get a sound clip up tonight.  Fingers crossed.

jkokura - I've tried both a TLC2272 and an NJM4580 as well, and the mid honkiness is present with all 3.  Per the wire damage - just a slip with the soldering iron in the last stages of the build.  The rest of the (non-pictured) wire is quite sound.  I currently have the correct 2N7000s in there.

I'll dig around and see if I've got an LM opamp anywhere, just to try another option.  In the meantime, would the caps mentioned earlier make much of a difference?

gtr2

hmm...  I wouldn't call mine mid honkiness

The caps shouldn't make that much of a difference
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jkokura

In my humble opinion, the values make a much more important impact than the type. They are both the same materials, just made by different companies. Orange Drops would not get rid of the sound you're talking about.

However, if you used the wrong values, which I haven't checked yet, it would potentially give you this sound issue.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

eldanko

Ok...

Checked all cap values, and they are correct.  Pots are wired correctly as well.  Will try a different opamp tomorrow and double check resistor values then as well.  I'll work on getting clips up soon.  Thanks for the help so far fellas.