News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Current Lover - It's alive! Mostly

Started by brucer, August 16, 2016, 10:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brucer

Hi All. 

I'd really appreciate some help with a Current Lover 2015 build.  I'd love to add this one to my pedalboard!  It's built using parts from Mouser, Small Bear and Pedal Parts Plus per the BOM (http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/CurrentLover/CurrentLover_2015.pdf).  The only position not populated in the pictures is D4 (LFO indicator).  I later soldered it in and that didn't change anything (it lit up steadily though - no pulse ... much like the effect) it's now working as expected!

I have tone through my testing rig in bypass, but SILENCE when the signal is routed to the circuit.  Strangely, when using the testing rig probe, I get tone at the input pads (J1 tip and 3PDT input tip), but nothing on either side of the first resistor on the schematic (R1) ... or the second, etc.

Thanks to alanp and Stomptown, I now a signal through the circuit!  Updated status and plan in my later post below (clean signal, but no effect).

Voltages follow, with some big differences on:
- IC1, pin 3
- IC2, pins 3, 7 and 8
- IC5, pin 7

So far, I've checked parts, orientations and reflowed solder no end, but no joy.  Any help from you wise ones would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Stomptown

Are you sure you are connecting the pcb to the testing rig correctly? In the pics you posted there are no wires soldered to the send (s) and return (r) pads (i.e. The pcb in and pcb out pads).

alanp

Jon is right -- the actual circuit input-output pads are on the bypass pads at the bottom.

All that the pads you currently have signal wires going to are doing, is ferrying the signal down to the bypass pads at the bottom of the board for easy, clean access to the 3PDT stomp switch without wires going all the way down the enclosure..
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

brucer

Thanks Jon and Alan.  You're totally right.  I soldered wires to the Send and Return pads and I now have signal to the circuit! Still no flanging effect sadly, but it is passing signal.  That's step one.  I've tried the calibration process repeatedly, but no joy there.  I'll try again tomorrow and revisit/repost voltages if still no effect.  Thanks again!  I really appreciate the fresh, knowledgeable eyes and advice.

brucer

So, I left this project alone for a day, then revisited it with fresh-ish eyes (and corrected offboard wiring  :-[). 

Following the biasing instructions as best I can gets me a flanging effect (near/at the clockwise limit of the biasing trimmer so as to leave distorted sounds behind).  It's a bit white-noisy in that position though.  Can I expect the circuit to be quieter once I've boxed it up or is further troubleshooting recommended?  Any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!