News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Moodring

Started by madbean, August 16, 2014, 08:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

micromegas

Quote from: madbean on August 19, 2014, 10:10:27 AM
Thanks for all the kudos! It's looking like tomorrow or Thursday for doing the demo. I should have some more 125B coming so I'm going to try to sneak in the Sparklehorn as well. Then its back to all the stuff I gotta get ready for September.

I'm eager to hear how this pedal rings.. I assume you did not find the time to do the demo but, only to get a picture: does it sounds similar to the EQD Ghost Echo? Looking at the schematic I can see it shares some ideas but the Space pot has other configuration and the tone control could definitely perform a substancial difference.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Stig

+1 on the demo. Been checking youtube regularly since that monday.

Droogie

Quote from: micromegas on August 27, 2014, 09:47:07 AM

I'm eager to hear how this pedal rings.. I assume you did not find the time to do the demo but, only to get a picture: does it sounds similar to the EQD Ghost Echo? Looking at the schematic I can see it shares some ideas but the Space pot has other configuration and the tone control could definitely perform a substancial difference.

I fired this up on Sunday, but haven't boxed it yet. The tone control is pretty dramatic and the way it interacts with other controls is also unique. It will get to the drone stage with things dimed, but can easily function as a typical reverb if you want that. The dry switch is also a really nice touch.
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

chuckbuick

That's a beauty!  I guess that's why your name is on the website. :)

madbean

Just finished the Sparklehorn build up today, so now I can demo both tomorrow. Sorry for the wait...but I had to get the SH finished up.

madbean

Here is the completed Sparklehorn build. The interior work is kinda meh. I had to do a few de-solders and replacement so the board got a bit cruddy. But, hey.

micromegas

Cool! Many knobs to turn! I know a couple of guys who could make a complete turn with something like the Spaklehorn...
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

m-Kresol

Is there a specific reason for the 2 different kinds of 9mm pots?
I guess, there should be enough room for 2 rows of regular 9mm pots and I don't really like the plastic shaft ones.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Govmnt_Lacky

Awesome build Brian!

I just cannot stop looking at that big, fat, unwired sleeve on the Output  :o Especially after just spending 2 days debugging a DOD pedal only to find it wasn't working properly because the Output jack used the casing (which had paint on it) as the ground.

madbean

Quote from: m-Kresol on August 28, 2014, 08:02:45 AM
I guess, there should be enough room for 2 rows of regular 9mm pots and I don't really like the plastic shaft ones.

You don't have to use the plastic shaft ones. You can use the other kind. The only difference is the holes for the mounting clips are 1mm larger on the plastic shaft ones. But, you can still fold them over and solder them to the pad if you want. Better to give options for people who prefer different methods :)

QuoteI just cannot stop looking at that big, fat, unwired sleeve on the Output

It has continuity with ground (I checked). If it were all plastic, I would ground the sleeve but it isn't necessary here.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: madbean on August 28, 2014, 08:45:30 AM
It has continuity with ground (I checked). If it were all plastic, I would ground the sleeve but it isn't necessary here.

I see. The only reason I mention it is because... if for some reason the output jack comes loose... you lose EVEYTHING to static/hiss  :-\

m-Kresol

Quote from: madbean on August 28, 2014, 08:45:30 AM
Quote from: m-Kresol on August 28, 2014, 08:02:45 AM

You don't have to use the plastic shaft ones. You can use the other kind. The only difference is the holes for the mounting clips are 1mm larger on the plastic shaft ones. But, you can still fold them over and solder them to the pad if you want. Better to give options for people who prefer different methods :)

Thanks for clarifying that. Looking forward to my build
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

pogart

I hope this does not sound like a silly/obvious question but here go's. I have been reading over the notes for wiring on the MOODRING wiring page and for the "buffered" wiring image the two "yellow" wires from the dry are connected to where? Go easy on me, I am new to the DIY gang : )
Thanks, POGART

Shrtyska9

Quote from: pogart on September 14, 2014, 09:30:20 PM
I hope this does not sound like a silly/obvious question but here go's. I have been reading over the notes for wiring on the MOODRING wiring page and for the "buffered" wiring image the two "yellow" wires from the dry are connected to where? Go easy on me, I am new to the DIY gang : )
Thanks, POGART

The pins of an on-on spdt toggle switch. The wire from the square pad on the board goes to the center pin and the wire from the round pad goes to one of the outer pins. Then solder the unused outside pin to the center pin.
A spst switch can be used instead and would be wired the same way except the spst only has 2 pins so you wire one pad to one pin and the other pad to the other pin.

BTW Welcome to arguably the best pedal forum on the internet.

Richard
Richard

pogart

Thanks a million Richard. I completely get it : )
I have to agree, this is one cool place to spend time in reading and planning pedal builds. Just waiting on the mail to bring my bag of goodies to start.
POGART