News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

wiring for a positive ground fuzz face

Started by aballen, August 16, 2014, 04:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aballen

RobA

I don't see anything that jumps out as wrong in the description you gave or the image.

Are you getting about -9V at the input to the Fuzz PCB?

Are you getting audio at the yellow wire's lug on the 500k pot?

If you are getting audio at the collector of Q2, you are almost through the circuit at that point. You've got the switchable output caps (I'm guessing that's what the toggle is), the volume pot, and the 3PDT.

If you don't have audio at the input to the volume pot, check the input and output of the cap selector toggle. If you do have audio at the input of the volume pot, trace the audio out through the pot and on to the 3PDT.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

aballen

I've got signal on everything.  I mean everything I just pulled the board from the box and using the road rage I still hear a signal in every trace.

I'm thinking trannys are fried. 

RobA

I've yet to fry a Ge transistor and I've done all sorts of bad things to them. I know that they can be torched and some are more prone to it than others, but it isn't the first thing I'd suspect.

When you say you are getting signal, are you putting an audio signal on the input and then listening with a probe and you can hear the audio signal at the various points?

At this point, it would be good to get voltage levels for everything. The supply input to the RoadRage. The Supply input to the Fuzz. The voltage at each of the leads of the transistors. Also, it sounds like there might be something wrong with the ground connections somewhere -- maybe checking the continuity of ground at all of the various ground connections would be helpful.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

midwayfair

Aristotle, what are your voltages?

The only way I've ever fried a transistor was hooking a diode from +9V to the base when the emitter was grounded. (Ah, good times!)

aballen

I'll get voltages.  I tore the whole thing down.  I'm going to test and get voltages on the bare board.