News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Not a Real Klon

Started by pickdropper, August 19, 2014, 05:52:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

I haven't had as much personal build time lately, but I wanted a Klon for my all-black mini board.  I was bored with my previous graphics, so I did something a little bit different.

Despite similarities to the real thing, I assure you this is not a real Klon.   ;D

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

midwayfair

It can hide in the shadows to escape notice!

Re the D9E .... great, Keith putting those in the Silver Pony is going to make my favorite cheap Russian diode extinct.  >:(

jimilee

Uber awesome!!!! does it run at 12v instead of 18v?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

sturgeo

Wow!
I've yet to delve into the world of 1/4w resistors and 9mm pots, might have to dip my toe!

What size traces do you generally use for your PCBs? even the thought of routing that makes my head hurt!

wgc

sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!  love the graphic.  Might be enough to make me rethink my aversion to the klon so far.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

jubal81

Still amazed every time I see one of these. This time, even the board & outside match ...  8)
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

juansolo

Impressive as hell as ever.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on August 19, 2014, 06:36:25 AM
It can hide in the shadows to escape notice!

Re the D9E .... great, Keith putting those in the Silver Pony is going to make my favorite cheap Russian diode extinct.  >:(

Yeah, this is the first build I've tried those in.  I also tried an 8n2 to replace the 3n9 cap (per Juansolo's suggestion) and tried the switched out tone stack.  It definitely sounds quite a bit different than other Klons I've built, but I was guilty of bad science by changing too many variables at the same time (although I've done the tone stack mods on other builds).  I'll probably tinker a bit with another build at some point and dial in my preferences in a bit.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: jimilee on August 19, 2014, 06:51:42 AM
Uber awesome!!!! does it run at 12v instead of 18v?

Thanks.  :-)

This runs off of a 9v and uses the charge pump to bump it to 18v, just like a standard Klon.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: sturgeo on August 19, 2014, 07:02:27 AM
Wow!
I've yet to delve into the world of 1/4w resistors and 9mm pots, might have to dip my toe!

What size traces do you generally use for your PCBs? even the thought of routing that makes my head hurt!

It really depends.  I often use 8 mil for signal wires but I have used up to 24 mil in the past (totally unnecessary). The currents are pretty low in an overdrive pedal like this, so it can be fairly small.  I'd have to check what I used for this; I believe it was 8 or 10 mil.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

And thanks for all of the kind words everybody.  This was a fairly quick build so it was a nice break from all of the other work I've been doing lately.
Function f(x)

cooder

Friggin' awesome, Dave.... as usual...
....that's of course a compliment!
BigNoise Amplification