News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

zombii build

Started by lwatford, April 29, 2011, 12:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lwatford

I liked the one I built for someone else so much, I had to build myself one!

I've got to find some knobs now.

TheCobbenator

nice! I'm looking forward to building a couple of these for myself and band mate. What trannies did you use/where from?

nzCdog

nice... you gonna put knobs on? i was thinking the other day that nice shiny pot shafts like those would be a good idea, cause sometimes my toes hit the knobs by accident and mess with things, most of my pedals are 'set and forget'

lwatford

Quote from: TheCobbenator on April 29, 2011, 07:27:51 AM
nice! I'm looking forward to building a couple of these for myself and band mate. What trannies did you use/where from?

I used the least expensive pair from Smallbear.  They're 3AX31C's I think. The only issue you might run into if you use these with a B sized enclosure is that they're pretty tall. I had originally drilled a box to use a 3pdt, but with the board in place, there was no room for the battery. I bought another enclosure and a dpdt and got it all to fit. I love how small it is, but it takes some planning to get it all in. You could probably get a power jack and led in there if you moved the in/out jacks some.

Quote from: nzCdog on April 29, 2011, 03:43:28 PM
nice... you gonna put knobs on? i was thinking the other day that nice shiny pot shafts like those would be a good idea, cause sometimes my toes hit the knobs by accident and mess with things, most of my pedals are 'set and forget'

I'm planning on putting knobs on, I just don't have enough that match right now! They're pretty difficult to turn right now, so I guess it would work if you wanted to do that.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Awesome love the sparkly finish. I've been contemplating where to get the trannies for my zombi build. I'll have to look through smallbears stock!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

lwatford

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on April 30, 2011, 04:58:27 PM
Awesome love the sparkly finish. I've been contemplating where to get the trannies for my zombi build. I'll have to look through smallbears stock!

I don't know how close they are to the real thing, but they sound good to me. I've been able to get all the sounds I've heard out of the fuzz factory.

The sparkle was an experiment, I want to do it again, I learned to not go crazy with it! A little goes a long way, and too much just runs.

jtn191

fwiw, I got a mid-priced set from smallbear ($12 a pair) and they turned out to short and fat. It seems like there's a love/hate consensus on FFs...I'm definitely in the love camp. Playing with all the knobs and volume knob on your guitar gets all kinds of sounds. I spent a few hours the other day playing with a compressor in front of it. If ya compress hard but output a low volume you can get more consistent weird noises, or alternately more smooth drive at higher volumes. The real one presumably have AC128s with measured gains; Mine reacts differently from stock, but I don't care  ;D

yours looks great, lwatford and I like the knobless look too. I suppose you could paint/sharpie on a dot for a pointer  ;)

jkokura

I got AC128's from a guy in the Czech republic, and it was soooo worth it on my fuzz face. I don't know how much of a difference it would make in the Fuzz Factory, but they worked great in the one that I built.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

lwatford

Quote from: jkokura on April 30, 2011, 08:59:27 PM
I got AC128's from a guy in the Czech republic, and it was soooo worth it on my fuzz face. I don't know how much of a difference it would make in the Fuzz Factory, but they worked great in the one that I built.

Jacob
Quote from: jtn191 on April 30, 2011, 08:30:09 PM
fwiw, I got a mid-priced set from smallbear ($12 a pair) and they turned out to short and fat. It seems like there's a love/hate consensus on FFs...I'm definitely in the love camp. Playing with all the knobs and volume knob on your guitar gets all kinds of sounds. I spent a few hours the other day playing with a compressor in front of it. If ya compress hard but output a low volume you can get more consistent weird noises, or alternately more smooth drive at higher volumes. The real one presumably have AC128s with measured gains; Mine reacts differently from stock, but I don't care  ;D

yours looks great, lwatford and I like the knobless look too. I suppose you could paint/sharpie on a dot for a pointer  ;)

That's the nice thing about sockets! Plenty of stuff to experiment with...but I think it's a little easy to drive yourself nuts trying all the different combos! I was digging through my parts box and found a few other things to try, but haven't had a chance to yet.