News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My take on the K.L.O.N.E.

Started by sturgeo, August 23, 2014, 04:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roctopus

Killer! Absolutely killer! Love the board :)

sturgeo

Quote from: Guybrush on August 26, 2014, 05:38:31 AM
Please could you decribe how you did the face plate? Really dig it!

It starts life as a clear piece (1.5mm thick) of acrylic. I take the protective cover off 1 side and spray it black.
Pop it in the laser (painted side up), mirror my chosen graphics, engrave it on almost minimum power so only the paint gets removed.
The laser then does a 2nd job that cuts out the holes for pots, switches, etc. and cuts the faceplate to size.
Take it out, flip it over and remove the protective covering and thats it.

The colour of the graphic is a piece of thickish paper, i brought a pack of mixed colours so i can work with most colours.
The paper goes in the laser as well and gets cut to shape (slightly smaller than the faceplate) and the holes cut out.

hylandren

Fantastic looking build!
Just wondering: Is the board suspended mid-air just by having been soldered to the pots, or is there some other means of support I am just not seeing?

sturgeo

I use the right angled PCB mount pots so they support the board.

Guybrush

Quote from: sturgeo on August 27, 2014, 04:21:41 AM
Quote from: Guybrush on August 26, 2014, 05:38:31 AM
Please could you decribe how you did the face plate? Really dig it!

It starts life as a clear piece (1.5mm thick) of acrylic. I take the protective cover off 1 side and spray it black.
Pop it in the laser (painted side up), mirror my chosen graphics, engrave it on almost minimum power so only the paint gets removed.
The laser then does a 2nd job that cuts out the holes for pots, switches, etc. and cuts the faceplate to size.
Take it out, flip it over and remove the protective covering and thats it.

The colour of the graphic is a piece of thickish paper, i brought a pack of mixed colours so i can work with most colours.
The paper goes in the laser as well and gets cut to shape (slightly smaller than the faceplate) and the holes cut out.

Thanks for the reply. I thought it looked a lot more professional than a rattle can and some Ferric Chloride! Looks great. Love the clean lines.

I just need to buy a laser cutter now! :(

Chi_Boy

Yes, that looks slick.

What kind of laser setup is it?  Any more info available?