News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Suggested Pots for Chunk Chunk

Started by cpsmusic, August 23, 2014, 05:53:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpsmusic

Hi,

I've finally got around to building my Chunk Chunk. I've assembled the board however I've bought the wrong type of pots - the lugs have a 90 degree bend but they have eyelets rather than pins. Also, the eyelets don't go past the base of the pot so even if they were pins they wouldn't be long enough for mounting.

Could someone point me to the right sort of pots to mount on a Chunk Chunk board. BTW, I'm in Melbourne, Australia.

Cheers,

Chris

madbean

Chris,

You can still use the lug pots. Just make small wires to go between the pots and pads on the PCB as if they were mounting pins. I do this all the time when I run out of right angle mounted ones. And, they are very stable this way.

mgwhit

What Bean said, but I use cut off resistor leads for this.

madbean

Quote from: mgwhit on August 23, 2014, 08:51:49 AM
What Bean said, but I use cut off resistor leads for this.

Yup, even better.
Lately I have been using 22g buss wire. There is nothing I hate more than stripping and soldering wires.

cpsmusic

Thanks!

I was thinking that stiffer wire would be better. I had the resistor lead offcuts but I threw them out - doh! I'll dig out some stiff wire from somewhere.

Out of interest, what are the right sort of pots for the Chunk Chunk?

mgwhit

Sorry!  Forgot that that's what you were asking in the first place.  Look for "PCB terminal" pots like this.

blearyeyes

I learned about wiring solder lug pots for PC right angle from a Mad Bean tutorial and an unintentional benefit is they are more forgiving when you drill your enclosure. If your a little off, the wired pots move more easily to accommodate the differences.

cpsmusic

Quote from: blearyeyes on September 09, 2014, 06:23:46 PM
I learned about wiring solder lug pots for PC right angle from a Mad Bean tutorial and an unintentional benefit is they are more forgiving when you drill your enclosure. If your a little off, the wired pots move more easily to accommodate the differences.

Whereabouts is the tutorial?

blearyeyes

It was a build tutorial for the ZeroPoint SDX I'll see if I can find it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blearyeyes

This is one of Brian's build reports where he uses solder lug and make them into PC mount pots:

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/builds/reports/zpsdx/index.html

cpsmusic

Thanks! Nice build report - I learn a lot from these.