News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Software for designing pedal graphics in?

Started by jjanssen1, August 26, 2014, 05:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjanssen1

Hi all,
Does anyone know a good software I can use to design graphics for a Madbean Zero point micro II I'm building soon
Much appreciated,
Joshua
+[----->+++<]>+.+.[--->+<]>---.---[->++<]>.++[--->++<]>+.

muddyfox

I use Photoshop, some people swear by Gimp... anything with layers works, really.

flanagan0718

Gimp is awesome too. Has a lot of the same features as Photoshop but it's FREE. I think it's also a bit easier to use, personally. I've used paint before too (for basic designs)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muddyfox

Photoshop is also free. You can get CS2 version from their site that's free and fully functional.
It has more features than you'll ever need designing pedals.

Tried Gimp, felt weird.

crashguitar

I use Inkscape. Free and vector based which is a little different than Photoshop/Gimp pixel based platform.

Chad

mgwhit

Inkscape is a free and open source vector graphics editor that's available on a variety of platforms. (I've used it on Windows and OSX.) I think it's supposed to compare to Adobe Illustrator.  There's a not insignificant learning curve and a few glitches, but I think I've used it for almost every waterslide graphic I've done -- and there are MUCH better examples of Inkscape graphics out there than mine, trust me.  It's fairly easy to import PDF enclosure layouts and drill guides and design around those.

muddyfox

Man... Inkscape... I knew I was forgetting a big one.  ::)
No wonder, though! I tried to get to grips with that thing several times and it just didn't click with me. But yes, if you want/need vectors and free, this is the way to go.

irmcdermott

Quote from: mgwhit on August 26, 2014, 07:15:15 AM
Inkscape is a free and open source vector graphics editor that's available on a variety of platforms. (I've used it on Windows and OSX.) I think it's supposed to compare to Adobe Illustrator.  There's a not insignificant learning curve and a few glitches, but I think I've used it for almost every waterslide graphic I've done -- and there are MUCH better examples of Inkscape graphics out there than mine, trust me.  It's fairly easy to import PDF enclosure layouts and drill guides and design around those.

This is what I use too. I use GIMP if i need to edit an image, but then i import it into inkscape for a pedal layout. I wish they would develop a native Mac version like GIMP has, but the X11 version is fine.

rullywowr

I agree that Inkscape is one of the best free layout tools for pedals.  If you need to alter the pixels of an image, GIMP is great.  Inkscape's vector layout keeps things looking great no matter how much you scale them.  Easily import graphics, use layers to keep organized, drill holes, etc.

Be sure to grab the "pedal vector pack" which has a lot of enclosures, knobs, switches, etc so you can mock up your graphic.

I since have migrated over to CorelDraw! and it works essentially the same as Inkscape.  Corel is a little more "polished" but then again its not free.  :)  Vector based software also works excellent with laser engravers (bonus).

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

muddyfox

Did you do it because of your laser etch setup or you just liked it better?

davent

Like others have mentioned, i use Gimp for tweaking certain things, use a cad program to design the layout of pots, jacks switches, etc., but everything eventually ends up in Inkscape to bring all the elements together, try different colour combinations, play..
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

stevie1556

I tried Inkscape but the place I used to get my labels done needed CorelDraw files, and they were kind enough to give me a crash course on how it works. I find it's so much easier and quicker to use then Inkscape, and highly recommend it.

pickdropper

Quote from: rullywowr on August 26, 2014, 07:32:21 AM
I agree that Inkscape is one of the best free layout tools for pedals.  If you need to alter the pixels of an image, GIMP is great.  Inkscape's vector layout keeps things looking great no matter how much you scale them.  Easily import graphics, use layers to keep organized, drill holes, etc.

Be sure to grab the "pedal vector pack" which has a lot of enclosures, knobs, switches, etc so you can mock up your graphic.

I since have migrated over to CorelDraw! and it works essentially the same as Inkscape.  Corel is a little more "polished" but then again its not free.  :)  Vector based software also works excellent with laser engravers (bonus).

How was your experience laser etching with Inkscape?  Some folks at work tried it with the Epilog and were a bit frustrated by the print driver.  Actually using the software for design work was fine.

I only use Illustrator, so I haven't felt the pull to mess too much with Inkscape.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

rullywowr

Quote from: pickdropper on August 26, 2014, 08:22:53 AM
Quote from: rullywowr on August 26, 2014, 07:32:21 AM

How was your experience laser etching with Inkscape?  Some folks at work tried it with the Epilog and were a bit frustrated by the print driver.  Actually using the software for design work was fine.

I only use Illustrator, so I haven't felt the pull to mess too much with Inkscape.

Great question!  To sum it up in one word...horrible.  I have never had good luck printing directly from Inkscape even just to print out on paper.  When I used Inkscape, I always used to export to PDF first - then print the PDF out from Adobe Reader.  Even importing SVG files from inkscape to Corel is a total crapshoot...mixed results.

The Epilog designers like Corel Draw so I have been becoming more accustomed to using it not only for etching but for general graphics use - and it's growing on me.  I'm sure Illustrator is awesome too :)

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

AntKnee

I've been using paint.net, but I think I need to try something better. Paint.net is very simple, not a lot of stuff going on. I think I'll look into inkscape and gimp.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".