News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirtbag Deluxe 3?

Started by agoldoor, August 28, 2014, 02:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

Quote from: Jopn on November 01, 2014, 11:49:04 AM
I know this project will be awesome when it comes, but speaking honestly, I do feel a little frustrated that I've believed yet again that this project was just around the corner. I've been looking to buy a DMM board now since late 2013, and it's had countless delivery dates set and then missed.

Worst part is, I feel like if I don't keep checking the projects page every few days then it will arrive and sell out before I get one ordered.

Sorry for the vent, but I simply mean it as honest feedback. Brian does amazing work all around, with the sole exception of somewhat chronic over-promise/under-deliver on delivery dates. I still love him for everything else, but please...please, can we work on these published dates a bit?

It's frustrating, but it's just inherent to the process. There are tweaks, changes, tests, rethinking, retesting, optimizing and all the 'unknown unknowns.' Then on top of that, there's waiting 3-4 weeks for each prototype revision. That's why 'soon' actually and truly can mean a few months or a year.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

lincolnic

Quote from: madbean on November 01, 2014, 12:32:41 PM
It will definitely be out before Half-Life 3.

Confirmed: Brian operates on Bean Time.

pickdropper

Quote from: jubal81 on November 01, 2014, 12:46:53 PM
Quote from: Jopn on November 01, 2014, 11:49:04 AM
I know this project will be awesome when it comes, but speaking honestly, I do feel a little frustrated that I've believed yet again that this project was just around the corner. I've been looking to buy a DMM board now since late 2013, and it's had countless delivery dates set and then missed.

Worst part is, I feel like if I don't keep checking the projects page every few days then it will arrive and sell out before I get one ordered.

Sorry for the vent, but I simply mean it as honest feedback. Brian does amazing work all around, with the sole exception of somewhat chronic over-promise/under-deliver on delivery dates. I still love him for everything else, but please...please, can we work on these published dates a bit?

It's frustrating, but it's just inherent to the process. There are tweaks, changes, tests, rethinking, retesting, optimizing and all the 'unknown unknowns.' Then on top of that, there's waiting 3-4 weeks for each prototype revision. That's why 'soon' actually and truly can mean a few months or a year.

Not only that, but a circuit as complicated as the Dirtbag requires more testing to make sure it's been vetted as much as possible.  If there turn out to be issues, it would result in a whole lot of help needed threads and frustrated builders.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Jopn

Quote from: pickdropper on November 01, 2014, 01:05:57 PM
Not only that, but a circuit as complicated as the Dirtbag requires more testing to make sure it's been vetted as much as possible.  If there turn out to be issues, it would result in a whole lot of help needed threads and frustrated builders.

Don't get me wrong, I COMPLETELY get this.  But if we're still in the prototyping and testing phase, maybe don't publish that's it's coming out this month.

alanp

My guess would be that he felt that it was pretty close to sorted, then found one of those subtly awful flaws.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

madbean

Quote from: Jopn on November 01, 2014, 04:58:14 PM

Don't get me wrong, I COMPLETELY get this.  But if we're still in the prototyping and testing phase, maybe don't publish that's it's coming out this month.

In a perfect world I would not. But, there are also only so many emails I'm going to be able to tolerate with "when is xyz coming out?" So, either way someone is disappointed...but one way gets me off the hook for a while  ;D ;D

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on November 01, 2014, 05:25:25 PM
Quote from: Jopn on November 01, 2014, 04:58:14 PM

In a perfect world I would not. But, there are also only so many emails I'm going to be able to tolerate with "when is xyz coming out?" So, either way someone is disappointed...but one way gets me off the hook for a while  ;D ;D
Running your site like you want to, the nerve...😜
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Lucas G.

The solution is make a BIG batch of Dirtbag pcbs, I think this project is the most expected for me and all members of this forum, a batch with a great number of boards probably will let everyone happy! haha
I'm very excited, I've got my 2 pairs of MN3008 and I want dirtbag board a lot, just for curiosity I've paid something about $75 (converted from brazil real for us dolar) for my bad luck  ;//
Everyone knows that you make a great job with your pcbs, just for it everybody are very excited and nobody want lost this pcb (include myself).
Regards from Brazil and sorry if my english is not good, I hope everybody understand what I wanted to say.    ;D ;D

alanp

Problem is, if you get a lot of boards done, and there is a major problem, you've just lost a LOT of money, so it's better to get a proto board done first, THEN order the big batch.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Scruffie

I'll turn this car around and then no one'll get any Dirtbag!
Works at Lectric-FX

aballen

Quote from: alanp on November 01, 2014, 07:57:24 PM
Problem is, if you get a lot of boards done, and there is a major problem, you've just lost a LOT of money, so it's better to get a proto board done first, THEN order the big batch.

Yeah and for chips that are not exactly easy to come by.  Even if the boards are perfect it could take some time to sell them. 

m-Kresol

Maybe a preorder thread for this project would help, so Brian can have an estimate number of boards he'll sell right away. Add let's say 30 boards to that number and hopefully everyone will get one.
All in favor? ^^
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

aballen

It's really up to Brian if he wants to do something like that.  I don't think that is what everyone is suggesting.  Just that there are a lot of reasons to be patient.

pickdropper

Quote from: aballen on November 02, 2014, 06:26:21 AM
It's really up to Brian if he wants to do something like that.  I don't think that is what everyone is suggesting.  Just that there are a lot of reasons to be patient.

Yep.  Everybody is excited, which is awesome.  But really, I think everybody is excited for a properly functioning, tested board.

I think enthusiasm would be tempered quickly if the boards were problematic as troubleshooting a build of that size can be REALLY frustrating.  Even in an ideal state, this is a challenging build.  It's really better for everybody if the boards are as solid as possible.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

m-Kresol

That's not what I meant. Of course, I want the boards to be verified before release, as anyone else. From the previous posts I thought a preorder-list would minimize the anxiety of someone not getting a board due to a too small initial batch as the estimate amount would be known. Just an idea.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials