News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

So, where can you find actual purple LEDs?

Started by Bret608, September 10, 2014, 02:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

Hi all,

Somehow I keep thinking I'm ordering a purple LED and they end up being violet or ultraviolet, i.e. that kind of purplish-blue color. Where can you find one that's more just a straight-up purple? I'm finishing up my Nutron Phasor. I let one of my daughters pick out the colors, and she wants a purple LED. She was very specific about this and I can't seem to get it right. Sighhhh....

rullywowr

If you can use a color chart to find the color by wavelength then you can simply order from mouser. Ive had good luck with purple LEDs from ebay.  5mm, 3mm and 3mm flat tops.  If you need some I can send a few your way. Maybe the color will be OK?

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Hangingmonkey

Ive only seen 2, the violet waterclear which to me looks like a slightly different shade of blue and theres a pink waterclear which could pass for purple.. Sort of.  If theres any others out there id be keen to know.

bcalla

I once used a bi color blue/red LED and lit both colors at once - I happened to have a bag of them.  I used trim pots on each side (instead of fixed value CLRs) so I could tune in the intensity of each color until I got the shade I was looking for.

Bret608

Thanks everyone! This is helpful. Ben, I appreciate the offer. I just had a thought though--let me see if the electronics faculty where I work have some. They have a bunch of different colors that students use in projects. I just noticed this morning that the students had redone their little club display nearby one of the classrooms and they used some nicely-colored purples in a strip. If they have 5mm in that same color I'm good to go.

m-Kresol

Good to hear that I'm not the only one using the faculty's material.. although I mostly use the lab space and the ovens
Anyhow, I got a few from banzai. I used it on my valvetizer. I thought it was purple enough
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Bret608

That is the purple I am looking for! I might show this to my friend in that department so he'll be clear what I'm after. Thanks, Felix!

wgc

If he has them, find out where he got them!  I bought some on ebay but they look more blue.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

selfdestroyer

I have used the UV LEDs and they are very purple.

Cody

idy

+1 on the tricolor LEDs. Use pots on the breadboard to tune the color, then pick CLRs accordingly. You get nice shades. Combine this with extra poles on switches and the status LED changes color to show mode.

drolo

Quote from: selfdestroyer on September 11, 2014, 03:39:26 AM

Cody

Plus you can get a mild sun tan if you stare at them long enough  ;D

Bret608

I do really like the color on the UVs. Do those look okay under a Fresnel lens?

selfdestroyer

Quote from: drolo on September 11, 2014, 08:43:16 AM
Quote from: selfdestroyer on September 11, 2014, 03:39:26 AM

Cody

Plus you can get a mild sun tan if you stare at them long enough  ;D

LOL

Quote from: Bret608 on September 11, 2014, 02:02:15 PM
I do really like the color on the UVs. Do those look okay under a Fresnel lens?

No Fresnel for me .. just the LED.

Cody