News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PhD in Klon studies

Started by electricb, August 29, 2014, 10:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

electricb

I haven't been following all the Silver Pony/Klon discussion very closely and just briefly checked in on the Klone Science thread when I came across this article:

http://manticorefx.wordpress.com/2014/08/17/klonformation-in-need-of-klonfirmation/

I don't know if this guy is a poster here, but he should be officially titled Dr. Klon for his study on the topic!

GermanCdn

And the price of OA126s just went up again, cause Jon's quote was used.....

Good read, though I had a little chuckle on the mispelling of "undoing".
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

culturejam

Damn.

Quote from: GermanCdn on August 29, 2014, 10:20:46 AM

Haha, me too. Bill's UNDONG is serious business.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

GermanCdn

Quote from: culturejam on August 29, 2014, 10:22:15 AM
Damn.

Haha, me too. Bill's UNDONG is serious business.  ;D

I have zero desire to DIY anything that has to do with Bill's undong.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

rullywowr

Wow. Great information here.  Have to archive this! 

Also great quote from Jon...  ;D

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

culturejam

I'm pretty sure Martin said he pulled the diodes before measuring. I guess I could email him and ask.

midwayfair

And the price of OA126s just went up again, cause Jon's quote was used.....

doggamn it.

culturejam

Wait, so the OA126 diodes clip at twice the forward voltage as typical germanium diodes? that would put them at about 0.7V...which is the same as most silicon switching diodes (1N4148, 1N4001, etc).

:o

mgwhit

Quote from: culturejam on August 29, 2014, 10:56:35 AM
Wait, so the OA126 diodes clip at twice the forward voltage as typical germanium diodes? that would put them at about 0.7V...which is the same as most silicon switching diodes (1N4148, 1N4001, etc).

Jon's original post on the OA126 said:

Quote from: midwayfair on July 02, 2012, 10:47:29 AM
the clipping threshold is above .55v on all the ones I tested, and some were above .7v.

Nuts, huh?

mremic01

Hey guys, that's my pedal blog. Honestly, I'm surprised anyone actually read that post. I don't have any formal background in klonology (my BA is in East Asian Studies), but I spend a good part of my work week at a desk, so I've been e-sleuthing as much klonformation as I can find.

My goal is to put together something like this Rat schem for the Klon circuit: http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=47993&g2_serialNumber=6

I should have the KTR and Soul Food traced within a few weeks. Keith said he would post some photos of his unit on the BYOC boards once he's done with some videos he's working on, so we'll get visual confirmation of that pcb.

Culturejam, can you get in touch with soulsonic? It looks like he hasn't been around since last year. I'm curious whether the 12k and 5k1 on his schematic were actually marked 12k1 and 5k11 or not. The degooped S698 is still too goopy to make out the resistor bands in the photo, and I've got a pic of what should be the 12k resistor peaking out of another unit's goop that looks like it either has all brown bands, or brown/red/brown/red/brown. But no black. These are the details that matter. That 1k is EVERYTHING. The study of Klon is the study of truth.

Leevibe

Welcome and thanks for posting. It's interesting reading and very klonformational.

jubal81

Pretty much the best writeup I've ever seen on the matter. Great article!
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pickdropper

Quote from: jubal81 on August 29, 2014, 04:21:02 PM
Pretty much the best writeup I've ever seen on the matter. Great article!

Yeah, that was good.  It presented all the info without being overly klonfrontational.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

PhiloB

If you stare intensely at the article for 2 min and then quickly look away you can see card tables!  Works best if you look at a solid color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madbean

Quote from: mremic01 on August 29, 2014, 01:35:57 PM
Hey guys, that's my pedal blog. Honestly, I'm surprised anyone actually read that post. I don't have any formal background in klonology (my BA is in East Asian Studies), but I spend a good part of my work week at a desk, so I've been e-sleuthing as much klonformation as I can find.

Are you sure? Your forum pedigree suggests otherwise.