News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ibanez Standard Fuzz?

Started by jtn191, May 01, 2011, 03:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtn191

I've been pretty into the Black Keys and this appears to be one of their ingredients. It's supposed to be a good "bad" fuzz sound. I'm new at it, but I could try making a vero... ???

here's a schem: http://analogguru.an.ohost.de/193/schematics/Ibanez_StandardFuzz.gif

edit: actually there's a crappy hand drawn vero right here http://212.242.106.33/~etcetera/public/instruments/IbanezStandardFuzz/ibanezstandardfuzz.htm

bigmufffuzzwizz

I think we can do a better one than that. I'll give it a try if you still interested cause I'd like to build this too.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jtn191

definitely, that'd be awesome!

bigmufffuzzwizz

I'm gonna try and put one together tomorrow if time permits me and my gf doesn't force me into beautiful road trips...

jkokura

I took a look at that circuit, and it kinda seems a strange road to take to get a fuzz sound for me. Some of me thinks things like "if it's too complicated, it's not a good fuzz." Fuzz can be achieved with sooo many fewer parts, and I don't find many fuzzes really differentiate themselves enough for me. Interesting to see though, and there's no reason why it couldn't be done.

If you guys really want a PCB layout, I could do it for you if needed.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pandadandan

Quote from: jkokura on May 01, 2011, 04:46:28 AM
I took a look at that circuit, and it kinda seems a strange road to take to get a fuzz sound for me. Some of me thinks things like "if it's too complicated, it's not a good fuzz." Fuzz can be achieved with sooo many fewer parts, and I don't find many fuzzes really differentiate themselves enough for me. Interesting to see though, and there's no reason why it couldn't be done.

If you guys really want a PCB layout, I could do it for you if needed.

Jacob

If you look at the schematic, you'll see that q3 and q4 are doing something special that isn't found on a lot of fuzz circuits, but actually appears in another very famous "super" fuzz ;)

jtn191

jkokura

Sure it does something different. I guess I see that the circuit is different, but I see simpler ways to do 'fuzz,' so I guess my point isn't so much that it isn't different, because it is, but rather it seems a complicated way to get a specific sound. Maybe I just need to listen to some different sound samples, because I'm not hearing anything I can't find in more typical, easy fuzzes.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bigmufffuzzwizz

Looking at the schem last night, fuzz depth and balance knob?  ;D and a tone control!! definitely a super fuzz clone or something similiar. I'm still into it and wanna do a vero layout!

bigmufffuzzwizz

Just as I was about to get this going I realized the circuit uses a lot of 10uf caps. I'm sure these are electrolytic so searching for the polarity I came across some different schematics.
The one you posted seems to match the ibanez standard fuzz's first half of schematic but then the tone section seems to be different. Everything after the diode clipping section matches the tone section on the Univox Super fuzz exactly until the output. And if you look at the front of the USF it doesn't use the Jfet transistor. Must be a combination circuit that you posted?
The schem for the ibanez standard fuzz is pulled from the wah version. Might be slightly different.

[attachment deleted by admin]

jtn191

from the article:
QuoteThe Standard Fuzz circuit is also identical to the Univox Super-Fuzz, except the input stage has been changed to use one J-FET instead of two ordinary transistors. The rest of the circuit is the same.The Fender Blender is basically the same construction, but has some extra diodes added among other differences. But it is definitely within the same family of circuits.

Which is interesting...I've also wanted a Fender Blender

bigmufffuzzwizz

Cool so I was right about that. It was all in the article all along! It was really confusing me at first.
I thinking it might be fun to do another layout w/ the other tone section shown. Could have been an improvement to the circuit!  :)
I wasn't aware that Fender Blender was so closly related to the Univox Super Fuzz. I did know that Shin-ei are the masters behind many famous (and some not so heard of) Japanese pedal companies.
P.S. About halfway through w/ the layout. I'm trying to get it as compact as possible and hit some barriers but going back 3 or 4 steps almost always solves the trick!

pandadandan

Fender Blenders are...
challenging.

Even less versatile than a superfuzz - single notes or two note power chords only.  Anything more becomes a indistinct wall of noise.  Can be heard most clearly in the middle 8 riff of Bullet With Butterfly Wings by The Smashing Pumpkins.  2:20 to 2:40 in the following video -

jtn191

I first heard of the fender blender playing through Amplitube: Fender and was surprised that Fender made something that sounded so $%^&ing crazy

ChrisVereb

speaking of the univox superfuzz, I found a neat trick with my clone last night.  If you throw an EQ pedal in front of it you can really adjust the amount of octave effect. 

I had my SF turned on last night and my son was diddling around on my board, like usual.  He turned on a graphic EQ pedal and turned all the sliders all the way down.  He then pushed just two sliders all the way up and it was really interesting, i think it was 400 and 1.6k...but I'll have to double check the board.  I had him stop messing around with it immediately!  It sort of had that cocked-wah into a fuzz sound, but different and the octave was just SINGING.  I was pulling plenty of octave out of it at the 2nd/3rd fret with the tone all the way up, not up around the 12th with the tone rolled down like usual. 

It was a Very Cool Tone indeed that I want to work on refining sometime when I don't have little hands constantly tweaking the knobbies!  It's probably not a sound I'd use constantly, but it was good enough that i started finding cool riffs to take advantage of it right away.  Hey, I'll take inspiration where ever I can find it!