News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

BB Preamp lacks gain and bite

Started by guile, September 07, 2014, 04:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guile

Guys, just finished a BB prreamp (Glitterratti) but it's too tame in comparison to what I hear in several clips on youtube. It lacks gain and doesn't 'bite' 9if that makes sense).
Someone on this forum suggested increasing the values of r11 and r16 but that messes too much with the overall tonal qualities of the BB.

Anyone ideas?

keysandguitars

The Glitterratti is a great build. I actually bought the real BB Preamp used at Guitar Center and pulled out the Glitterratti last night and A/B'd for an hour or so. My build has as much gain as the original. In fact, the gain knob on my build adds the gain too quickly. By 9 o'clock it's pretty hot. I checked the build specs and I have the correct B1M installed. Anyway, the build is very close to the original. I think it's a little brighter with a bit more presence. This could be because I didn't measure any of my components in the early days. I really do love this pedal.

I'm sorry I don't have tech knowledge to help. I just wanted to let you know mine was very close to the original and the gain was all there. I used all the stock values in mine. Maybe double check all the values? Sorry to hear you're having issues.
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

GermanCdn

Basing an overdrives sound on Youtube clips is a pretty big crapshoot because there are a pile of variables in their.  IIRC, one of the original BB demos from Xotic had Steve Stevens running it in front of a Marshall which was set pretty hot to begin with and it just pushed it over the edge, it didn't go into the supersaturated range (where it would lose definition), which is what you would have expected from a super high gain unit. 

Long story short, play with your rig setup as a whole before you start modding everything to hell (especially since the Glit is an etched board).  You might be surprised what you find.  Hell, I use Josh's Six Shooter as an overdrive with my AC15, sounds killer with buckers, but I can't replicate it with any other amp I own.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

guile

Thanks for the replies guys; very informative.
Would you say the BB is a mid-gain pedal? 

keysandguitars

In my opinion it is. I have a bad habit of trying to use OD's as distortion pedals and I get plenty of gain. I'd say it's got more gain than the Eternity (Neutrino) and is on par with the Zendrive (Serendipity). Again, just my opinion. Hope it helps.
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

guile

Guitarmageddon

Quote from: guile on September 08, 2014, 05:34:11 PM
Would you say the BB is a mid-gain pedal?
I'd definitely call it high(er) gain, almost distortion.
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com