News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tiger's Claw: Kingslayer/Lamprey/King Tutt

Started by thesameage, September 09, 2014, 01:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesameage

Just something I threw together over the past few weeks from stuff I had been collecting. Forever, I've been trying to put together a dual-purpose guitar and bass overdrive/muff combo. I finally came to the conclusion that a better approach would be a guitar overdrive, a bass overdrive, and a muff. So, here it is. I can't take credit for the pop'd boards. They came from jubal over at Madbean/BYOC in two separate buys a few weeks apart— didn't intend to put them all together at the time. The lineup is:

Madbean Kingslayer II with OA126 diodes (Klon-type pedal)>Lamprey (Ampeg SFT clone)>King Tutt Muff (Pharaoh Muff clone). Used the 1776 breakout boards to make it easy on myself to hook everything up. That meant not putting the Kingslayer in buffered mode, which I kind of wanted to do, but I wanted to make this one easy on myself and actually finish.

It works! Finished it last night, but I'll need to do extensive testing this week.

What do you think of the enclosure? Ha... I'm almost embarrassed. It's meant to be "distressed" looking, but it's not pro-quality by a long shot. None of the holes line up with one another— though they all fit the board mounted pots. I originally painted the enclosure gold in homage to the Klon with testors. Then I used some watco clear, which ate through a lot of the gold and nearly led to a divorce when all of the fumes somehow blew into our bedroom. That said, I just proceeded with a "distressed" plan and there you have it. When I get a chance, I'll probably get new knobs for it.

Leevibe

I say it's cool. Just roll with it. The gold has a really cool shimmery look in the pic. It's inique and cool.

thesameage

TGP39

Wow. When I first saw this I thought it was a curly maple top!  It looks cool as it is and you have three AWESOME circuits in there. Nice job.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

jubal81

Great job! I think it looks really cool - and the wiring is nice and tidy, to boot.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

televisiondown

I think with the excellent selection of circuits you have in there, you don't even need a decorated enclosure. So, it's a bonus that it is! Great job!!
"Be more constructive with your feedback, please" ~Jemaine Clement

thesameage

Thanks all! If/When I upgrade the knobs... what color would you go for? Or leave it as is?

ggarms

I love this. I'd keep the original knobs. I think they fit with the vibe of the pedal. Well done!

blearyeyes

thesameage

I just worked out the kinks--had to go in and reflow some solder in the King tut. Gotta say that I'm really impressed with the kingslayer. Much more so than I thought I would be.  Thinking that maybe I should go in and at least do a cap switch or two to make it work for bass. The lamprey sounds good on bass though. Really just adds nice body to it. One plus for the kingslayer is that it works nicely at low volume. The lamprey needs to be run at a higher volume to really do it's thing. The King tut is great too. A smoother muff than I've been playing. It wants to be played loud, though, so I'll need to give it a real test tomorrow at the practice space.

lincolnic

Dig the distressed enclosure. And those are some great circuits to combine, it must be a rad box.

thesameage

If anyone wants to hear some clips, here some jams last night from our practice space.

I'm playing through a homebrew jazz bass with series wiring on. Bill Lawrence jazz pickups> Series switch on> [Tiger's Claw from above, but not using the Klon] Catalinbread: SFT Ampeg clone>Dark Arts Pharaoh Muff clone>Sansamp rack pre w/flat EQ>Samson Servo PA amp> Ampeg 4x10 and Sonic 1x18.

https://soundcloud.com/bigandtall/10114-science-fair-volcano-jam

https://soundcloud.com/bigandtall/10114-science-fair-volcano-jam-2

rullywowr

How did I miss this?  Great job.  Very clean inside and some great circuits there.

;D

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

thesameage

Thanks! I'm planning on adding a charge pump to make your Tutt 18V (the Lamprey, too) and also add a clean blend. I love the Tutt and Lamprey but feel like they could both benefit from a little more headroom. The Kingslayer actually sounds nice on bass, but I need to add a new input cap (and figure out what cap that is) as it slays the low end.

selfdestroyer

Sounds like a great combination. Very cool build and it sounds great also.

Cody