News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Long shot dirty power question

Started by GermanCdn, September 11, 2014, 01:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GermanCdn

All right, don't know if there's an answer out there, but if there is, someone here probably knows.

In the process of building a new house, of which I will be finishing the basement and building the man cave to suit my musical needs.  What I've found in my current house is some of my amps (and pedals for that matter) are susceptible to additional noise due to dirty power (my Marshall DSL and a couple of my Traynors have more hum than I'd prefer to deal with, a few other amps have lesser issues).  If I run them off a rack mount power conditioner, the problem goes away, so it leads me to believe that it's an overall electrical issue.

So, clearly I want to avoid this in the new house (don't know if it's just indemic to my current abode, but unfortunately I won't know if that's the case until after the man cave is wired up).  So the question is - is there a commericially available power conditioner I could wire the whole room (or at least the circuits on which I'd run the amps)? 

There's obviously other solutions if need be, I could buy a half dozen of those Furman power conditioner power bars, but I'd prefer a hardwired solution if possible.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

stecykmi

something like this maybe? i have not used this product myself, however.

for safety reasons, just keep in mind that you should probably only connect things together that are also powered from this unit. since there is a phase shift between the input and output of the converter, it's possible that equipment could be at different potentials, especially if they are damaged and/or old. a nasty shock or destroyed gear could result otherwise!

GermanCdn

Yes, that's definitely along the lines of what I was think, though probably a little more than I need, I'll dig through some more Emerson stuff and see what I can find.

Thanks
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

selfdestroyer

Is there a way you can segregate yourself to a dedicated circuit from the panel just to test with and see if it goes away? You might have an appliance sharing the same circuit for your basement and its causing the issues. Just thinking out loud here.

I live in an apartment and I use a APC rackmount power conditioner I got from work when I rebuilt my network racks. It has served me well with my 2 bassmans and my Fender Twin RI. But I never have them all on at once just one amp and my pedal board at the most.

COdy

GermanCdn

When I wire up the mancave, it will be on its own dedicated circuits, not being shared with anything else.  I have pretty good success with my rackmount power conditioners, so there will be other options if I find it to be a problem.

derevaun

I learned a lot from this thread: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=103817.0

Not exactly on point to your question, but several bits of advice and explanation that could be handy. 8)

davent

Quote from: derevaun on September 12, 2014, 01:35:57 PM
I learned a lot from this thread: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=103817.0

Not exactly on point to your question, but several bits of advice and explanation that could be handy. 8)

You'll need to be registered there to view that thread.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?