News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

uproar ....

Started by yomanfree, May 02, 2011, 03:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yomanfree

Hello all,
my uproar is now finished, I'm quite happy: I love the sound of this pedal !!!
I attach the photos ....

In terms of mods compared to the madbean's documentation:
- First I have used a on/on/on switch for diodes selections.
cf http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=1288.0
for the wiring diagramm (Madbean's scheme).
NB: I can hear a difference depending on the switch position...
- My impression with a 100K pot for the gain is that -compared to youtube videos-, I had not enought drive/disto. Then I've replace the 100K pot by a 250K
- The 10KC pt has been replaced by a 100K. This value allows a better control of the tone, but when the pot is turned counter clockwise, the volume decreases progressivelly. Increasing the volume is then required to compensate.

More news in the coming days/weeks (if necessary) ...
A bientot

[attachment deleted by admin]

willis3405

Nice build. I like the rolled paper around the LED leads  ;D I've used part of a straw to replace shrink wrap before, works just the same IMO.

k.rock!

Hey man! Looks great!!

One question though...is that a solder blob on the 3PDT switch? If it is, maybe you should consider sucking some of that solder off your switch cause blobs like that can cause you popping sounds. I dunno, just a thought :)

Awesome job nevertheless dude!

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

bigmufffuzzwizz

Awesome! Not enough of these get built. I really like the warped finish you have here.
To add to what Kaleb said, You can easily make the ground connections on the switch with clipped off component leads. It will look much neater if you care for that of course!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

k.rock!

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on May 03, 2011, 10:10:33 AM
Awesome! Not enough of these get built. I really like the warped finish you have here.
To add to what Kaleb said, You can easily make the ground connections on the switch with clipped off component leads. It will look much neater if you care for that of course!

+1 on the clipped leads :) I like to do that in my builds as well, they do get the job done!

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

bigmufffuzzwizz

Just be careful of the big diode leads. I've found myself having one of the hardest times ever attempting to remove it from a pad. The sucker did not wanna come out. I'm sure there's a tool for the job like my teacher always says.

yomanfree

Hello guys
thanks for all your messages and feedbacks, quite encouraging.
Yes for sure this solder blob was not clean at all (coming from several trials I did which requested to sold wires to the ground) and no way to keep such a dirty thing inside: this has been fixed today. Additionaly in case of shock, mechanically, this solder blob could break.
"You can easily make the ground connections on the switch with clipped off component leads": yes this is too what I do in all my pedal: a good trick which seems to be commonly used.
This discussion is quite interesting because it is often difficult to perform a clean wiring when the enclosure is small (small is the challenge for our pedalboards :-)!). And I think that put in place mods make things more and more dirty ... (Typically here the on/on/on switch mod ....). Moreover the LED (with the 4K7 resistance) management is not the best in term of "internal look". Except the special PCB sold in different sites (to sold the 3PDT with the diode), do you have some tricks to make it clean ?
Thanks

bigmufffuzzwizz

The best method I believe is the heat shrink. You can totally get around it using tape/glue and I'm sure others have tried some interesting methods, but I think it will make your builds look much neater. The heat gun i got from Harbor Freight costed me $12. I use it for other things too like rushing drying paint. The heat shrink is something like 4 meters for a dollar of the smaller diameter tubing.
I think the LED part looks fine, I'm just personally not an electrical tape user.  :)

gtr2

I think your wiring looked good except for the 3pdt jack.  What I do here is solder what I can before putting it in the enclosure.  I'll leave extra wire on the other end and trim it where necessary to create short runs to the jacks etc...

This 3pdt was about half wired up before I put it in the enclosure. (pic below) It is much easier to keep it clean.  You can't even see the solder in the pic.  The 3pdt is usually where the messy blobs happen because things are tight and you have to work around without melting other wire leads.  I don't like using the pcb boards or heat shrink for what its worth, but that's my own preference.

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

yomanfree

waow, your wiring looks quite good gtr2, I like! In the same way, your solder technic seems really mastered. For the method you use, this is roughtly what I do too.
I have had a look too to your other pedal (amphitrite, custom preamp, zombii, the foxx etc....). Simply impressing. Just a small question even if it is not the subject: how did you performed the painting of the sunking ?

thanks bigmufffuzzwizz for your feedback. The heat gun could be effectivelly interesting (and usefull for other things). If I can find one for a low price when I will order some components, I think I will try ...

gtr2

It's purple kryptonite from pedal parts plus.  It's cheaper and easier for me just to pay a little more for the powdercoating.  I don't really like painting  ;)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

yomanfree

yes painting is clearly really painfull.... Unhappilly I'm in france and shipping is expensive from this site. I have not find yet in europe an equivalent site (often just few basic colors exist and not for all enclosure :-( ).
thanks. Bye.

nzCdog

Nice build man... I'm still deciding on my enclosure layout, I want to try getting all sockets in the top of a 125B, might be a litle tricky with the switches...