News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

(BK Butler / Chandler) Tube Driver 1590BB - Tube Inside - SOUND DEMO !

Started by Thomas_H, September 16, 2014, 07:17:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas_H

You might have seen the 125B version in an earlier build report here: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=17210.0

Some crap playing sound demo:
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/th-custom-effects/tube-driver-at07-tube-sound-demo[/soundcloud]

I have changed a few parts values and the tube to AT7 and this is sooooo great sounding. Lots of fun and great distorted tones testing this baby!
I will do another recording when I have time.

Now here is the mentioned 1590BB version with the tube inside!
This is the outside. No tube ;-), just a plain black stomp box.

After a lot of thinking how to fix the tube inside the enclosure I came up with this:
(Wiring isnt very tidy as I had to flip the stomp switch because the tube did not fit anymore :-) )

Some detail:
Tube is held in place by a L-shaped piece of plastic which has a 18mm hole for the tube socket to go through. The plastic is mounted to the bottom of the stomp box. Connection to the board with flexible wire and connectors to allow easy access.
There is a separate board to mount the tube socekt and the connectors.

I will do a new board revision which has some optimizations to the layout allowing even easier placement of the tube and board.
It will be available as a GroupBuy. Watch out for it the next days.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

brejna

m-Kresol

Really neat idea mounting the tube the bottom. Looking forward to the demo.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

davent

Turned out very nice!

How warm does the tube run, was wondering if it might benefit from some ventilation?

(title typo- 'B' s going to be super tight.)
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Thomas_H

Quote from: davent on September 16, 2014, 10:51:12 AM
Turned out very nice!

How warm does the tube run, was wondering if it might benefit from some ventilation?

(title typo- 'B' s going to be super tight.)

Thanks, yes, corrected the typo.
I didnt notice excessive heat so far but I will run it for a few hours when I demo it to see if there is a need for holes or such.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

davent

Preamp 12ax7's in my guitar amps are warm to the touch but 12au7's in my hifi preamp if i recall correctly are very very hot so just wondering how things are here. I'm thinking guitar-like temperatures.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Thomas_H

Quote from: davent on September 16, 2014, 12:15:11 PM
Preamp 12ax7's in my guitar amps are warm to the touch but 12au7's in my hifi preamp if i recall correctly are very very hot so just wondering how things are here. I'm thinking guitar-like temperatures.

I have a Valv-e-tizer build three in one with Au7, At7 and Ax7 and there is not much difference in temperature.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

TGP39

This is my dream build. One of the main reasons I started this hobby was to eventually make a tube driver. To say I am excited for this project is the understatement of the year. Thank you Thomas. Thank you!
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

Thomas_H

DIY-PCBs and projects: