News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Question about IC names

Started by Guybrush, September 21, 2014, 05:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybrush

Hey all

I have a circuit that calls for a TL072P chip. In my stock I only have a TL072CN. Will this be ok? What do the P and CN denote?

Thanks in advance!

kothoma

It will be OK. The be sure what these postfix letters denote, you need to read the data sheet of the respective manufacturer.
One letter unually denotes the applicable temperature range, one could stand for the package (DIP8, SIP8, SO8), and what not.

Guybrush

It's never simple! Ha ha.

Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated!

RobA

I don't think I've ever seen a TL072P. I've seen TL072CP. In that case, the P is TI's designation for the plastic DIP-8 case.  The TL072CN that you have is an ST micro part? If so, that's their designation for the same IC and it should work fine. Pretty much, for what we do, as long as it's the right package type, it'll be OK. I guess you might run into some special case situations that call for some of TI's A and B labeled parts, but I've never seen them used specifically.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

culturejam

Yeah, don't stress about the affix letters. As pointed out, those usually denote operating environment characteristics, package configuration, and things like that.

For most DIY uses, you want the through-hole DIP package. As long as that is right, everything else is irrelevant for our purposes (as far as I know).
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

alanp

Charge pump chips are probably about the only instance where you want to nerd out about the suffix.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Guybrush

Cheers guys. The CN worked perfectly. Thanks.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: alanp on September 22, 2014, 02:32:23 AM
Charge pump chips are probably about the only instance where you want to nerd out about the suffix.

That and some Logic IC like the CD4049UBE where the other variants won't work. But that's really the 2 only one that i can think of...
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/