News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rocking before mounting?

Started by RobA, October 03, 2014, 04:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobA

... Pots and switches.

I'd like to be able to test a build before soldering in the board mounted pots and switches. I tried doing it with header pins but the connections were just too unreliable. I've seen expensive automated machinery that'll do this, but that's just a tiny bit over the top for DIY (at least for my DIY).

Are there any good methods/tools to do this?
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Leevibe

I like using these. They have a tiny little claw that can grab the leg of a component of even a pad if it's near the edge of a board. You can make jumpers with these at the ends and connect one end to your pot lug and the other to the leg of whatever component is on the same node of the circuit. Or you can run a little bit of wire through the pad with enough insulation to keep it from slipping through the hole and grab the wire with the claw. I think I posted pics of this once. I'll try to find them.

Leevibe

In these pics, the lengths of wire aren't connected to anything. They are just short, stripped lengths that are being used to anchor the test clip. The clip would have its own lead.

RobA

Quote from: Leevibe on October 03, 2014, 06:10:01 AM
I like using these. They have a tiny little claw that can grab the leg of a component of even a pad if it's near the edge of a board. You can make jumpers with these at the ends and connect one end to your pot lug and the other to the leg of whatever component is on the same node of the circuit. Or you can run a little bit of wire through the pad with enough insulation to keep it from slipping through the hole and grab the wire with the claw. I think I posted pics of this once. I'll try to find them.

Excellent idea! I'll get some of these and try them out. Thanks!
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

rullywowr

That clip idea is pretty cool.

I'm a big fan of a desoldering iron.  I have a Hakko 472D with 808 807 pencil handpiece but there are many other great ones out there.  I can remove a pot from a PCB in less than 30 seconds with no damage.  You can simply populate the PCB as normal and if you need to take something off, just use the iron.  Bonus points if you use a piece of wood/acrylic/cardboard as a template to ensure the pots and switches are perpendicular to the PCB before mounting. 

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Leevibe

Quote from: rullywowr on October 03, 2014, 08:49:37 AM

I'm a big fan of a desoldering iron.  I have a Hakko 472D with 808 handpiece but there are many other great ones out there.  I can remove a pot from a PCB in less than 30 seconds with no damage.  You can simply populate the PCB as normal and if you need to take something off, just use the iron.  Bonus points if you use a piece of wood/acrylic/cardboard as a template to ensure the pots and switches are perpendicular to the PCB before mounting.

I'm a bit jealous of anyone who owns a good desoldering pump. I have the rs one with the sucky bulb thing. It's... sucky. I also have the cheap blue solder sucker. Its ok. I think i want to at least try the real deal soldapult and see if i like it. How's maintenance on the hakko?

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

raulduke

Quote from: rullywowr on October 03, 2014, 08:49:37 AM

I'm a big fan of a desoldering iron.  I have a Hakko 472D with 808 handpiece but there are many other great ones out there.  I can remove a pot from a PCB in less than 30 seconds with no damage.  You can simply populate the PCB as normal and if you need to take something off, just use the iron.  Bonus points if you use a piece of wood/acrylic/cardboard as a template to ensure the pots and switches are perpendicular to the PCB before mounting.

I could do with a desoldering iron. My solder pump works ok, but pots etc. can be a pain to remove.

I usually just drill my box first (using pot locations of PCB) and then use that as the template when populating the PCB.

Makes sure everything fits nicely.

I try and use 'standard' drill patterns as well so I don't have a load of odd enclosures knocking around.

rullywowr

Nothing like a good reason for a new toy  ;D

A soldering iron is to a pencil as a desoldering iron is to a power eraser.  Seriously, once you use a quality desoldering iron you will wonder why didn't you get one sooner :)

Leevibe

Do you run into issues with it clogging etc? How much effort does it take to keep the filter clean etc?

Leevibe

Just saw this video on the 808. OK, now I reeeeaaallly want one. This thing looks simple and bulletproof.

gtr2

Its not bullet proof but it works very well as long as you clean it regularly.  It doesn't do well once it starts getting gummed up with old flux either ;)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

muddyfox

that's a really nifty piece of hardware but I for one can't justify that kind of moolah for what's basically a hobby (and already an expensive one at that).
but I can totally see it being worth it to you fellas that sell boards and work on new stuff and repairs and such.

rullywowr

Quote from: Leevibe on October 03, 2014, 10:02:16 AM
Do you run into issues with it clogging etc? How much effort does it take to keep the filter clean etc?

As Josh mentioned, as long as you perform simple maintenance on it, it runs great.  I use a 1.0mm tip and have the cleaning drill and long cleaning pin (looks like a spring).  If it clogs, you can use the drill and cleaning pin to remove the clog.  Emptying the chamber of solder is also required every now and then.  The only times I seem to get a tough clog is if I am sucking up pieces of solid wire...but even then it's not too bad.

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website