News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Using brass mesh to clean soldering iron?

Started by Justus, October 07, 2014, 08:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rullywowr

I also agree that the solder brass tip cleaners are much better than the sponge.  Sponges get nasty, drop your tip temperature, and constantly need water.  With the brass/copper cleaners you can shake out some of the solder balls which form, however they certainly are a consumable item.

If you are on a really low budget you can pick up a copper scouring pad/ball at the dollar store or supermarket and use an alligator clip to affix it to the stand where your sponge normally goes.  "Chore Boy" brand or similar is what works OK.  The finer, the better.  I did this for years before finally getting a proper tip hakko tip cleaner setup.  They really aren't expensive.

I am with Pickdropper in that I like to run my iron in the low 700F range (720 etc).  I find that if you can't make your joint within 3 seconds, you are running too cold and heating up the components and surrounding PCB too much which can damage components especially switches and PCB traces.  Too hot, and of course you can roast things quickly  I like to "get in, get out quickly." There is a balance between "too hot" and "too cold" - both have their inherent issues and you will have to find the balance for your particular setup.  I don't think there is a "wrong or right" here, just sharing what I found.  Everyone has their own preference and its what works for them, their iron, and their particular solder type.   :)

I am using a Weller WESD51 station with Kester "no-clean" 251 solder in .031" diameter.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

alanp

I bought a Goot ST-40, threw my sponge tip cleaner the same day. Brilliant, brilliant thing.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website