News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Well... how to bake enclosures without an oven...

Started by Willybomb, October 11, 2014, 07:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

Well, I live in a flat, so all my enclosure spraying is done outside, on a small cardboard box to keep it off the newspaper that's lining the concrete driveway.  I spray, and then cover with an opaque/cloudy lunchbox of sorts to keep bugs and dirt off it (thanks whoever posted that in a video).

What I've found is that when I do this and leave it in full sunlight (not to mention it's 25c here today) the enclosure is getting hot - nearly too hot to touch - and the clearcoat is hardening pretty quick.  Dunno if it's a full cure for the paint or not yet, but it means I can clearcoat, cut, clearcoat, a couple of times a day.  Didn't think it would get that hot under there...     

bela1961

I live in Arizona sounds like a real plan. It gets 110F in the shade here. I needed to "help" one of my guitar necks get straight truss rod maxed and still big hump in the middle. Set up a clamping system in the back yard and let it cook for about 8 hours. Worked fantastically because it softened the glue very evenly. Been planning to do baked finish, but the oven was a serious obstacle. Thanks for the testing and great idea ( never occurred to me).

derevaun

Some have used an incandescent lightbulb in a box. Maybe foil lined?

alanp

Google says that 110F is 43degC.

110F is meaningless to me.

43degC, though... put it this way, I think that 18degC is time-to-move-to-Sweden, too damn hot!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

upthepunxxx

Really? Sounds right up my apartment dwelling alley! Have you tried that? Got any pics of the setup?

Quote from: derevaun on October 12, 2014, 05:55:34 PM
Some have used an incandescent lightbulb in a box. Maybe foil lined?
Wake up and smell the noise!!

derevaun

Quote from: upthepunxxx on October 12, 2014, 08:22:15 PM
Really? Sounds right up my apartment dwelling alley! Have you tried that? Got any pics of the setup?

I haven't built it and cannot vouch for its safety or effectiveness, but here's an apparently tested design:
http://makezine.com/projects/make-35/ez-make-oven/

AntKnee

Quote from: alanp on October 12, 2014, 07:33:21 PM
Google says that 110F is 43degC.

110F is meaningless to me.

43degC, though... put it this way, I think that 18degC is time-to-move-to-Sweden, too damn hot!

Ha! Why we still have to measure everything differently on our side of the pond, I don't know.
The "F" stands for F'n hot!!!!!!
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".