Neutrino- Mod Suggestions

Started by jball85, May 10, 2011, 01:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jball85

I am wondering if anyone has any mod ideas for the neutrino such as-

1.) more/less Bass

2.) more/less mids

3.) more/less gain

4.) Anything that was not previously mentioned (weird mods etc.)

Im most curious about #1&2

Thank you to all who reply

jball85

I think that sums this one up, the Neutrino  is best left "unmolested"

stecykmi

the neutrino is heavily based off the tubescreamer, so you'll find a lot of mods that work for the tubescreamer also apply to the neutrino.

other then that... increasing or decreasing the input cap will increase/decrease the bass respectively.

mids are always difficult to "add" because there's not a simple filter that you can add to do that (ie you're limited to low pass and high pass filters, there's no "mid pass"). you could try filtering off more high end by putting a small cap in parallel with R7, (try maybe 500pF, but you'll need to experiment).

more or less gain is done by increasing or decreasing the Drive pot and/or R4. you could also try jumpering the 2 of the diodes (ie 1x 1n4148 on each side).

one interesting idea might be to implement asymmetric clipping by changing the diodes, you could try 1 x 1n4148 for D1 and 2x 1n4148 for D3.

jball85

when you say jumper do you mean to just have one diode instead of the two in series? and thanx for the contribution to the thread.

stecykmi

jubal81

Quote from: stecykmi on May 13, 2011, 04:23:01 PM
one interesting idea might be to implement asymmetric clipping by changing the diodes, you could try 1 x 1n4148 for D1 and 2x 1n4148 for D3.

Finished my Neutrino today and I did just that. I put the two diodes in series on one side of the switch and a single LED on the other to go between symmetrical and asymmetrical. The LED side has a more wide-open sound and I prefer it on lower gain settings. When I crank the knob, I prefer the double-diode sound.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jball85

Awesome I'll have to try something like that. Although I think I will try something other than an led, just preference. I found that if you change the opamp you can get less mids for example a Ne55322 sounds less midish and more gainy than a burr brown or an Lm1458. Although the LM1458 is what I settled on. Only cause it sounds a little more oldschool.