News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Am I crazy?

Started by PhiloB, October 16, 2014, 08:02:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

Ok, don't answer that.  I do have a real question though:
I have a Les Paul copy (Arbor) that I picked up on CL for $25.  Hardware/electronics are a mess but I spent $40 at Guitarfetish and have a set of Duncan Design Distortion pickups to drop in there.
THE PROBLEM:  previous owner reamed out the neck tone pot hole to move the pickup selector there.

THE QUESTION:  can I tape off the inside/cavity and fill the hole with epoxy (Envirotex) and after curing drill a 3/8" hole for the tone pot and expect it to hold?

I've measured the existing hole and the skirt of the knob will cover it so aesthetics are not too much of a concern.  I tried filling it with wood glue and toothpicks but it wouldn't support the pressure of a drill bit (splintered to pieces).

If the Envirotex is a crazy idea I guess I'd go with a dowel.  Maybe there is some step down bushing to be had somewhere?
Thanks for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haberdasher

it seems like i've seen some 2 part epoxy that is like clay, and you knead them together.  i have heard that it can be machined after it cures, or maybe after it partially cures- can't remember.  might be worth looking into?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

pickdropper

Yeah, Envirotex is fairly soft epoxy.  I wouldn't expect it to provide much structure.  There are harder epoxies out there (as Keefe mentioned).

The wood dowel will be more reliable.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

chuckbuick

I would think a dowel would work.  But maybe drill your hole before you cut it to the thickness you need and mount it to the body.  Anything you fill that hole with will probably be so thin that it will be more prone to falling apart if drilling after it's in the body.

Shrtyska9

I would say your best bet would be either bondo or gluing a piece of dowel.

Richard

Richard

PhiloB

Dowel seems to be winning.  Drilling prior to cutting to depth and gluing is a good tip.  Makes a lot of sense.
Epoxy was the easiest solution (no materials to buy and I wouldn't have to go to the garage;).  I need to be more patient, I start a project and I want to immediately complete it! 

GermanCdn

Yeah, I'd dowel it as well, possibly with a bit of a flange on the underside of the guitar (might need a long shaft LP pot for that to work).
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Jopn

I'm no pro, but I'd tape off the outside rather than the inside, then overfill the hole with envirotex or a similar pour on epoxy.  My idea being that giving a small amount of spill-over will give the epoxy more surface to bond to the wood, rather than only being able to adhere to the insides of the hole.

muddyfox

Envirotex really is a very soft epoxy.
I had to remove an envirotexed label off a pedal that I did about six months ago. It came right off and the whole thing is really really floppy. No rigidity to it at all (no "that's what she said" jokes, purty pleeze  ;D). I doubt it would support anything.

GermanCdn

Quote from: Jopn on October 16, 2014, 09:05:29 AM
I'm no pro, but I'd tape off the outside rather than the inside, then overfill the hole with envirotex or a similar pour on epoxy.  My idea being that giving a small amount of spill-over will give the epoxy more surface to bond to the wood, rather than only being able to adhere to the insides of the hole.

If you were just filling the hole, this would work, but I'd suggest using cabinet maker wood filler instead.  But the moment you try and drill it out for a pot, it will get torn right out.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

playpunk

Have you posted this at TDPRI or My Les Paul? Those forums have big builder communities.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

PhiloB

So dowel plus wood filler (not wood glue?). Predrilled and sized to reduce stress on the bonded surface.

PhiloB

Playpunk, this is really the only community (and BYOC) I'm a part of.  It is a good suggestion, maybe I should branch out:)

bela1961

Depending on the depth and width of the hole, the only real solution is to dowel it. If you can, drill the hole out to fit a standard size dowel and glue it in with say titebond. If you can not get a reasonably tight fit fill the gap in with sawdust mixed with the titebond. This will provide a solid wood piece to drill and the bond between dowel and guitar body wood is about as strong as it gets. I really doubt the efficacy of any type of filler in this situation. Having to drill into the repair and mount a pot precludes it. Personally what I would do is take a piece of mahogany or similar easily worked wood and shape it as best to fit the hole. To fill what ever gaps remain save the saw dust from the wood you shaped and mix it with titebond. Coat the hole before tapping the new piece in place.

Maple Larynx

This may be a 'way outside the box' idea (the kind I usually come up with) but what about bonding in a flanged sleeve bearing?  You can buy them with the ID you need and the flange gives you extra surface area for bonding and force distribution.  You'll just need to size it down to the thickness of the guitar top and make sure the pot threads are long enough to reach through the flange.  The flange could also be sanded down to reduce thickness.

Anyway, they look like this:

Here is a link to one place that sells them.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-sleeve-bearings/=u6gty7

Just a thought.