News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Red Pitaya Oscilloscope

Started by RobA, October 17, 2014, 06:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobA

I've been looking around trying to figure out which scope to buy and I came across this thing.

http://redpitaya.com

It looks really interesting. The software is open source and there's a dev environment for adding new programs. It comes with an oscilloscope, spectrum analyzer, and signal generator. One the blog, they've just released the source and application for an LCR measuring setup.

Does anyone know anything about this or seen it in action? The specs look good for what I need, but there are some (intriguing) differences between what you tend to see on other DSO. The max sample rate is lower (125MS/s versus more like 1GS/s) but the bit depth of the AD/DA is significantly higher (14bit versus 8bit) so the overall information rate is something like 8 times higher. I'm not sure how that's going to play out in the end. The specs mention a 50MHz bandwidth but that is low for the parts on it, so I;m guessing that it can actually go higher.

Oh yeah, it's a web connected device, so you run the software from a browser on any device you want. It'll work from any PC or tablet, phone, etc.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

da cat

I have been looking at it too.  It caught my eye because it is made in Slovenia,  where I come from. It is developed in the Institute Jožef Štefan and it was one of the most sucessful Slovenian Kickstarter campagins. I know they provided a couple of hundred red pitayas to one of American univerities.  I think it is a very usefull gadget for pedal making. 

alanp

That's actually pretty cool. How usable is the resolution and sampling rate?

Oh, and what on earth is a pitaya when it's not a o'scope?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

RobA

Quote from: alanp on October 17, 2014, 01:41:16 PM
That's actually pretty cool. How usable is the resolution and sampling rate?

Oh, and what on earth is a pitaya when it's not a o'scope?
The vertical resolution is better than a normal DSO by quite a bit, but how that's going to play in with the sample rate is a good question. The overall bandwidth though should be plenty good for anything in audio. I'm just a little concerned about how it will do when starting to look at digital communications. Although, even there I think it'll be fine for MCU's and CODEC's and such.

In addition to being an oscilloscope, I'm thinking about the possibilities in using it as an automated frequency response measurement tool.

A red pitaya is a dragon fruit.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

RobA

Quote from: da cat on October 17, 2014, 07:40:54 AM
I have been looking at it too.  It caught my eye because it is made in Slovenia,  where I come from. It is developed in the Institute Jožef Štefan and it was one of the most sucessful Slovenian Kickstarter campagins. I know they provided a couple of hundred red pitayas to one of American univerities.  I think it is a very usefull gadget for pedal making.

Hmm, maybe I need to become an American university ;). On the other hand, I've been trying to convince my wife that we should move to Slovenia.

muddyfox

Quote from: da cat on October 17, 2014, 07:40:54 AM

Nice first post, bud!  ;D Welcome!