News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Jtm45 = Bassman (clean) ?

Started by HailToTheBlues, October 17, 2014, 01:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HailToTheBlues

Hi guys,
I'm thinking of getting a used jtm45 that is selling now as i'm looking for a good clean, in the Bassman ballpark, and since the jtm45 is based on the tweed bassman, i thought that it could be a good option, but i know that there are people that say their tones are nothing alike. So i wanted to ask for opinions, i wanted to know if the clean tone of the jtm45 would match the clean from the bassman, the dynamics and the full and warm tone, or if the jtm45 is more of a crunch amp, not that good for cleans. I can point out some artist like jimi hendrix, but notice that i'm not trying to replicate his tone at all, just for you to have a reference. Well, waiting for suggestions,

Best regards.

cooder

I have not played both originals, so can't say it from that point, but have a bassman/JTM 45 inspired DIY built amp.
I think one of the differences is that the early bassmans AFAIK had the lower gain 12AY7 preamp tube which should warrant a difference (more headroom) and I've also heard people saying that the different speakers used in both bassman / JTM45 are a part of the difference, so you might want to consider what speakers/cab you choose to get there.
Not sure if this is helpful...
BigNoise Amplification

GermanCdn

I think you're search for Bassman tones will only be met by actually buying a Bassman.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

HailToTheBlues

Quote from: cooder on October 17, 2014, 02:09:25 PM
I have not played both originals, so can't say it from that point, but have a bassman/JTM 45 inspired DIY built amp.
I think one of the differences is that the early bassmans AFAIK had the lower gain 12AY7 preamp tube which should warrant a difference (more headroom) and I've also heard people saying that the different speakers used in both bassman / JTM45 are a part of the difference, so you might want to consider what speakers/cab you choose to get there.
Not sure if this is helpful...

Yeah, speakers and tubes are some of the mains differences.

HailToTheBlues

Quote from: GermanCdn on October 17, 2014, 02:18:18 PM
I think you're search for Bassman tones will only be met by actually buying a Bassman.

Maybe yes, but the jtm45 that i can get, even thought it's an head, i can get it for less than half of the price of the bassman (new), because i cannot find any used in my around here, and shipping it internationally would not be worth the difference in price.
So that's why i wanted to know if the jtm45 would be a good replacement or not.

pickdropper

I've got my eye on a used JTM45 as well.  I probably won't pull the trigger, but it's very tempting.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

mgwhit

Quote from: HailToTheBlues on October 17, 2014, 01:56:21 PM
I'm thinking of getting a used jtm45 that is selling now as i'm looking for a good clean, in the Bassman ballpark, and since the jtm45 is based on the tweed bassman, i thought that it could be a good option....

Which Bassman clean are you looking for?  The JTM45 circuit is almost identical to the tweed Bassman circuit with the exception of the output tubes, but the tweed Bassman isn't exactly known for its cleans.  (Although at the volume most of us have any business playing it, yeah, it probably won't be too dirty.)  The most well known JTM45 sounds I can think of are Eric Clapton on the Bluesbreakers album (that was a 2x12 combo cranked) and Malcolm Young (JTM45/100 head cranked), not exactly examples of clean, but also not as dirty as you'd think.

The tweed Bassman circuit is completely different from the later Bassman heads that Fender released in the 60s.  If you're looking for Setzer-like blonde Bassman clean or Blackface Bassman cleans I would recommend against a JTM45.

However, if you're looking for tweed Bassman "cleans", I think a JTM45 with an open-backed cab (and a 12AY7 in V1) might get you close...especially if it's running 5881 power tubes like the reissues do.  Just don't dime it!

HailToTheBlues

Quote from: mgwhit on October 17, 2014, 04:35:53 PM
Quote from: HailToTheBlues on October 17, 2014, 01:56:21 PM
I'm thinking of getting a used jtm45 that is selling now as i'm looking for a good clean, in the Bassman ballpark, and since the jtm45 is based on the tweed bassman, i thought that it could be a good option....

Which Bassman clean are you looking for?  The JTM45 circuit is almost identical to the tweed Bassman circuit with the exception of the output tubes, but the tweed Bassman isn't exactly known for its cleans.  (Although at the volume most of us have any business playing it, yeah, it probably won't be too dirty.)  The most well known JTM45 sounds I can think of are Eric Clapton on the Bluesbreakers album (that was a 2x12 combo cranked) and Malcolm Young (JTM45/100 head cranked), not exactly examples of clean, but also not as dirty as you'd think.

The tweed Bassman circuit is completely different from the later Bassman heads that Fender released in the 60s.  If you're looking for Setzer-like blonde Bassman clean or Blackface Bassman cleans I would recommend against a JTM45.

However, if you're looking for tweed Bassman "cleans", I think a JTM45 with an open-backed cab (and a 12AY7 in V1) might get you close...especially if it's running 5881 power tubes like the reissues do.  Just don't dime it!

Well, i might disagree with you about the Bassman not being known for it's cleans, because it is the major thing why it is so famous, it is because of his unique clean. Since i heard and read about the bassman, it was always about his "holy grail" clean,as some people like to call it, it also breaks in really good, but that's not why it is so famous.