News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Am I crazy?

Started by PhiloB, October 16, 2014, 08:02:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wgc

Get some really runny superglue and baking soda. Tape off the outside.

Cover the inside of the hole with super glue, not too deep, but cover the whole surface.

Sprinkle baking soda into the wet glue. It will start to cure almost instantly, and when there isn't any wet glue, you're ready to repeat until the hole is flush. Careful though it can get hot while curing.

You can sand, drill, cut etc. by far the most reliable repair given the situation.

A dowel would normally be the right way to go, but it will be too short and prone to split given the grain direction.
Failing all this, I'd try washers since you're really just looking to shim it in a way that's not going to break.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

PhiloB

I went to the hardware store and bought a dowel...but I also found a plastic spacer that was 1/2" outside diameter and 3/8" inside.  Just need to trim it to the right depth.  I won't be home till late tonight to try that out though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhiloB

Meant to take a before.  Here is a 1/2" dowel with a 5/16" hole.  Used the saw dust to mix with wood glue.  I'll let it dry 24hrs and report back.

lars

If that doesn't hold, you could try JB welding a small metal plate inside the cavity to provide a backing, then fill the hole with JB weld. Once it cures, drill it to size, and the result will probably be stronger than the original wood.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

Matt

If you do try to epoxy it, Devcon dries solid. I use it at work.
Matt

PhiloB

The dowel worked great.  Thanks for all the input!!

kothoma