Author Topic: The Sagittary! aka dual sunking w/ ultra switching options!  (Read 17122 times)

Jimihendrix1987

• Transistor Tickler
    • View Profile
Re: The Sagittary! aka dual sunking w/ ultra switching options!
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2011, 01:53:45 AM »
Hi there,

Tubeman I've written you several private messages, explaining what I have found out talking with Brian about Shipping costs.

Did you receive them?  ;)

tubeman

• Transistor Tickler
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2011, 12:55:08 PM »
Thx Jimi!

Jimi helped me find a good way to cross the pond!

Lm313H is $5 (selling all day for $10 a piece on ebay)
CR220   is $8 (selling for $15 a piece on ebay)
CR100   is $8 (selling for $15 a piece on ebay)

Send a cashiers check or postal order for the diodes you like like plus $3 shipping n handling to:
Stephen Nelson
8315 E Gregory Blvd
Kansas City, MO 64133
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 01:15:50 PM by tubeman »

JakeFuzz

• Electron Doctor
  • Paul
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2011, 08:05:59 PM »
Sunking is done. Ill try and record a couple of HD clips maybe tonight and tomorrow. Didn't test any other diodes than the LM313H yet, but they sound very interesting, definitely different from what I remember my old Sunking (with 1n34a's) sounding like but that was about a year ago so I cannot be certain of the exact differences. I did the 6.8n cap substitution, true bypassed and used a JRC4558D in IC1 and an NE5532P for IC2. I am going to switch Q1 to a 5532 too and just go with that; it sounds a little too tubscreamer-ish at the moment. The most noticeable thing I can say off the bat is that there is something strange with the note bloom and attack which I am not sure can be attributed to the clippers. More investigation is needed!

I will breadboard up a set of common diodes to test out ASAP. 

tubeman

• Transistor Tickler
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2011, 09:54:39 PM »
Definitely somethin a miss. Mine has no resemblance of any type of tube screamer circuit.

JakeFuzz

• Electron Doctor
  • Paul
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2011, 11:19:36 PM »
Definitely somethin a miss. Mine has no resemblance of any type of tube screamer circuit.

Yeah I am thinking bumping up the treble cap was a mistake. Did you use the JRC4558 in IC1 or IC2? Right now it sounds sort of like my Fulldrive 2 @ 18 volts. I really didn't have time to make a full evaluation, too many little kids running around or sleeping! argh, there is like a 2 hour window where I can actually play this at a good volume level.  

Edit: ahh, a JRC4558D and DD. I have a ton of duals sitting around ill try in here and see whats up.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 11:47:29 PM by JakeFuzz »

tubeman

• Transistor Tickler
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2011, 11:47:33 PM »
Went back to TL072's in both sockets and much happier!  8)

Jamiroking

• Stompbox Star
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2011, 09:42:16 PM »
Great build Tubeman!
I'm about to build a Sunking and actually was asking elsewhere about a way to put in a toggle that selects between the true bypass/buffered by pass modes before I saw yours which seems to do just that. Mind giving some tips on how I could pull this off with just my one centaur?
Thanks

Jamiroking

• Stompbox Star
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2011, 10:45:20 AM »
Pleeeeeeease?

Bump     :D

tubeman

• Transistor Tickler
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2011, 06:56:56 AM »
Wire the pedal witht eh buffered bypass mounted to a dpdt toggle switch or stomp switch. Then, add in ur true bypass master switchto the already built pedals input and output. You should be good!

thetinnedman

• Diode Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2012, 08:20:34 AM »
Has anyone that's used the lm313h's had any problem with them blowing? It taken any precautions to prevent them blowing?

JakeFuzz

• Electron Doctor
  • Paul
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2012, 11:14:53 AM »
Has anyone that's used the lm313h's had any problem with them blowing? It taken any precautions to prevent them blowing?

Yep I blew mine up. I was trying out the high gain mod by increasing the feedback resistor for the first gain stage. Looking at the data sheet these aren't normal diodes. They look to be a fairly complex regulation circuit. This probably lends to their unique sound but also makes them susceptible to frying when you pump too much current across them; they are now just two open circuits. I would say if you don't run any high gain mods you should be fine. Mine were great on the stock values. But for now I have settled on a 1N695 and a BAT85, sounds just as epic IMO. 

thetinnedman

• Diode Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2012, 11:35:59 AM »
I don't plan on modding the pedal at all. Im using a vero layout from Sabro tone to do the build. I just really liked the fullness of the lm313hs but I will be using good portion of the pedals gain. May try to throw in a clone of the zvex SHO I built.  Don't know how well they'll sound together tho.