Main Menu

Kilobyte

Started by muddyfox, October 22, 2014, 12:18:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddyfox

Hi folks!

I got asked about putting together something like this
https://www.youtube.com/embed/nWCF4UX4I7Q

Any ideas what might get me in the ballpark?
Thanks!

teknoman2

From what I see its a pt2399 based delay, not sure about tap tempo though
here some inside pics I found on the net.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/projects/420053/posts/448584/image-237298-full.jpg?1365430687

Cheers,
Panos.

midwayfair

You can do it with the Rebote. I'll use this schematic:

Pins 15 and 16 on the PT2399 are an inverting op amp. It's really easy to see with the way that schem is drawn. The input signal is between a pair of 12K resistors that together set the gain of that op amp along with the 47K + 12K (for some frequencies). There's some filtering. You can put the "attack" control there by putting in a pot that increases the resistance of the 47K. Just put something like a 50K, 100K, or heck even 500K pot in series with it. I'm not sure how they decided to do it, but that's the easiest way as far as I can tell.

The level control is your normal repeats level.

The second switch shorts the repeats pot's 2 and 3 lugs. They did it in such a way that it reduces the bass in the repeats, so if you want to duplicate than, you'll have to put a cap much smaller than the 1uF that precedes the repeats pot in series with the switch shorting the pot. Hook it up at the junction of the 2.7K, 1uF, and 10nF caps in that schematic.

The gut shots show some diodes next to an op amp, so they're definitely doing something different, but you can look at the Zero Point Super Deluxe and the Echo Base for examples of adding diodes to a PT2399 delay to handle the runaway oscillation volume increase. You can even put diodes in the feedback loop of one of the inverting op amps on the PT2399 itself, though I'm not totally sure that will make a difference, since I think diodes in an inverting op amp are hard (not soft) clipping.

For the relay switching, TH Custom and 1776 here both have relay bypasses.

Of course, the Kilobyte no doubt has its own voicing, is going to have some refinements to sound right with these changes, and it looks like it also has active filtering and a bunch of other stuff. The "attack" portion could even be a TS- or Distortion+-style overdrive preceding the PT2399 and not actually overdriving the PT2399 itself (which can sound like crap) the way it's described on their site.

So the quick and easy way will get you something with vaguely similar functionality. Getting any closer is going to be a lot of work.

muddyfox

Thanks Jon!

Certainly a lot of food for though!

flanagan0718

Looks pretty interesting! I have a couple etched Rebote delays i might try this with. Thanks! :D