Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Muff Gun (Musket Fuzz)

Started by Hexjibber, October 23, 2014, 09:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hylandren

Quote from: Hexjibber on October 23, 2014, 12:25:44 PM
Quote from: m-Kresol on October 23, 2014, 12:16:48 PM
Once more, this is an outstanding etch. Maybe I'm missing the point here, but how Cody's process different from yours? Except for the choice of etchant and maybe colour...

Thanks dude! You're right the processes are essentially the same bar choice of etchant, I suppose I hadn't really contemplated doing a reverse etch and painting the whole box before but saw Cody's and thought they look awesome. From there I was just keen to know how he went about it so I could take a bit of the guess work out! ;)

Not to split hairs, but in addition to different etchants, they actually use different resists as well...
Cody uses presentation paper and Hexjibber uses glossy photo paper.

I had previously been using PNP, and was fairly happy with the results. But when I recently tried presentation paper, I couldn't believe how much sharper the edges were on everything, and it seems to adhere to the enclosure better than PNP as well. Its also a HECK of a lot cheaper than PNP...

m-Kresol

Quote from: hylandren on October 23, 2014, 09:22:18 PM
Quote from: Hexjibber on October 23, 2014, 12:25:44 PM
Quote from: m-Kresol on October 23, 2014, 12:16:48 PM
Once more, this is an outstanding etch. Maybe I'm missing the point here, but how Cody's process different from yours? Except for the choice of etchant and maybe colour...

Thanks dude! You're right the processes are essentially the same bar choice of etchant, I suppose I hadn't really contemplated doing a reverse etch and painting the whole box before but saw Cody's and thought they look awesome. From there I was just keen to know how he went about it so I could take a bit of the guess work out! ;)

Not to split hairs, but in addition to different etchants, they actually use different resists as well...
Cody uses presentation paper and Hexjibber uses glossy photo paper.

I had previously been using PNP, and was fairly happy with the results. But when I recently tried presentation paper, I couldn't believe how much sharper the edges were on everything, and it seems to adhere to the enclosure better than PNP as well. Its also a HECK of a lot cheaper than PNP...

You're right, there are some rather specific differences, but the basic technique stays the same: apply mask, etch, colour, sand the top... that's what I was refering to. Also, I unfortunately have to say that photopaper screwed me up big time when I used it. maybe there are different kinds, but mine just glued itself to the enclosure with molten plastics.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

rullywowr

It's super rewarding making your own layout. Really nice job all the way around.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

hylandren

" I unfortunately have to say that photopaper screwed me up big time when I used it. maybe there are different kinds, but mine just glued itself to the enclosure with molten plastics. "

-Yes, there are many different types of photo paper. I tried photo paper as well, and it was a disaster for me too, which is a shame: I am a photographer by trade, and have lots of it around.
Give the presentation paper a try. the first time I used it, the result was one of the cleanest etches I have ever gotten.
I also go over any place on the enclosure that I don't  want etched with nail polish. I can't stand little pits or accidentally etched places, and using the nail polish pretty much eliminates them, IF you are using ferric chloride enchant.

Blues Healer

"music heals"

Leevibe

Wow! Not just a fantastic etch, but fantastic artwork too. Congrats on doing your very own fabbed board too.

J. Ignacio

Hi! Do you have this proyect with etching pcb?i'm looking on web but it not appear

raulduke

Can't believe I haven't seen or commented on this.

This is an awesome build dude.

One of the best/coolest etches I have seen.

Hexjibber

Quote from: J. Ignacio on November 02, 2014, 07:19:30 PM
Hi! Do you have this proyect with etching pcb?i'm looking on web but it not appear

Hi, I don't have an etching pcb layout as I did this in Eagle as a double layered pcb, I am in the process of getting some boards done though if you are interested, here's the thread;

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=18011.0

Hexjibber

Quote from: raulduke on November 03, 2014, 11:28:00 AM
Can't believe I haven't seen or commented on this.

This is an awesome build dude.

One of the best/coolest etches I have seen.

Thanks man!  :)