News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Well, there goes another $600

Started by madbean, October 24, 2014, 12:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I've got both the Hakko FR300 and FX951 on the way. My trusty Aouye solder/desolder station has been a workhorse for the last three years but is just not keeping up. The desolder part constantly needs fiddling with to work well. The soldering iron part occasionally decides not to heat. I've already replaced both guns once. I guess there's no beating spending money on really good tools, though. At least it is a write off! Kinda peeved that the FX951 does not include a single tip, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FR300-05-FR300-De-soldering-carrying/dp/B00KWM69C4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414152058&sr=8-1&keywords=hakko+fr300

http://www.amazon.com/AMERICAN-HAKKO-PRODUCTS-INC-FX-951/dp/B0012B8NW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414152087&sr=8-1&keywords=hakko+fx951

rullywowr

Great choices!  I'm sure they will both treat you well.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

muddyfox

i'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the fr300, its ridiculously expensive over here, i'd like a desoldering gadget but i wouldnt care much about spending money on something that's not worth the price of asking.

madbean

I'll definitely post my thoughts on both. I'm hoping these will last me at least 5-6 years...probably longer if I take good care of them.

Leevibe

Man, those both look sweet. I'd be interested to know how the desolder gun works too.

playpunk

If that ayoue lasted you three years, how long would it last a mere mortal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

sturgeo

Desoldering gun?!? christ i thought i was being fancy with my ss-02 opposed to the traditional blue pumps!

Not sure i do anywhere near the amount of desoldering to justify a gadget like that though  :(

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Govmnt_Lacky

No considerations for SMD work Brian?

pickdropper

I've come close to pulling the trigger on the FR300.  At some point, I think I will.  That could be a useful thing to have around.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jighead81

I've used both of these when I worked for Hitachi...better than anything I've used since.

jjanssen1

Quote from: madbean on October 24, 2014, 01:04:03 PM
I'm hoping these will last me at least 5-6 years...probably longer if I take good care of them.
The Weller soldering iron I was using before I (recently) got my Hakko FX-888D was over 20 years old with regular use from my Dad (when he was still an electronics engineer)
You can easily do SMD on the Hakko FX-888D but could never do it on the Weller
Cheers
Joshua
+[----->+++<]>+.+.[--->+<]>---.---[->++<]>.++[--->++<]>+.

madbean

I've done SMD stuff even with the Aoyue. A pin tip and small core solder plus a flux pen was enough to get going. But, desoldering would be a different animal. For that I would use some tweezers or something else.

madbean

So, they are both pretty awesome. I've put in a fair amount of time with the solder pen. It works so well, and the unit heats up in less than 10 seconds! The desolder gun is larger than I thought and sounds like a dying yak when you pull the trigger, but it really does miles better than my previous one. It actually pulls all the solder out of the pads in one go most of the time.

So, I guess I can say it was probably worth the money.  8)

pickdropper

At least you have a good audio reference for that dying yak pedal you've been talking about designing.  ;-P
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper