News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

04.19 - Changes for the Project Page

Started by madbean, April 19, 2011, 11:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

After much deliberation and consideration, I've decided to place some projects "in retirement"...at least for the time being. About six months ago, I passed the point where I could keep offering PCBs for every project (more or less) and still maintain a reasonable turnaround time. But, I kept pushing forward, releasing more projects and putting myself a little further into the hole. I have now arrived at the point where website and project development are suffering greatly because of the demands placed upon me in making so many hand-made boards. The number of days to get some orders out is going into double digits.

I can't tell you how many times I've been up at 4am trying to squeeze out a few more orders or soldering up prototypes that I cannot work on during the day. I've had several months of four hours-a-night sleep and/or putting in seven days a week. It's taking a toll and there needs to be some more balance. So, in order to keep the site growing and myself sane I'll just have to offer a little less for now.

This is not necessarily permanent, but will remain so for the foreseeable future. And, it's not every hand-made type project...more like 9 or 10 of them. My hope is that this will allow me some more breathing room to flesh out all the ideas I have for both project development and other needed content on the website...and a slightly healthier lifestyle. Of course, with the release of new projects the possibility of going "right back in the hole" remains, but I'm taking certain steps to create more balance in my responsibilities. Some future projects will be released directly as manufactured boards. The smaller, simpler ones will still be hand-made. And, I still hope to get the CNC machine online to take over some of the production, too.

I hope this is not too disappointing for anyone. At the same time, it might be a good starting point to teach the willing in the craft of PCB making! And, there will be some good learning material on that subject very soon :)

sgmezei

Whatever you have to do buddy. Any old stock you need to get rid of?

night-B

Quote from: sgmezei on April 19, 2011, 12:03:43 PM
Whatever you have to do buddy. Any old stock you need to get rid of?
+1

Recently I was thinking : " man! how can he do this in a 24h day?" looks like you need 32  ;)

Myramyd

For me, if I felt better about my knowledge of PCB etching, I would try that for sure. Right now it looks complicated to me where it probably isn't. Although I greatly prefer the Fabbed boards, on some of these projects I would love to try PCB making myself. There are a lot of projects that I think we want to try for curiosity sake but don't need to bother you with making the board. Like the more obscure stuff could easily be DIY PCB projects. Everyone wants a Sunking but not everyone wants every Fuzz board.

Also for me, I think what turns me off to PCB making (other than knowing how to do it), is the supplies. Like I have no idea where to get the etching chemicals or boards.

If it were all outlined in an easy to follow manner I would love to try doing it.

I understand where you are coming from though. I just hope you can balance things enough to where you don't have to work so hard but are still making enough $$$ to keep it going. That's the hard part.

J

k.rock!

That's totally fine dude...You do work your butt off for us and we really do appreciate your hard work. You should definitely make whatever is needed for you to have a better quality life as well :)

Do you plan on keeping the retired projects' documentation within the Archive section? I think that would be great for people that would still want to use a layout to create their own PCBs...

Thanks for being so awesome for us. Now go get some rest man! haha  :D

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

irmcdermott

Quote from: Myramyd on April 19, 2011, 12:57:47 PM
Also for me, I think what turns me off to PCB making (other than knowing how to do it), is the supplies. Like I have no idea where to get the etching chemicals or boards.

There will be a tutorial on this soon. It's really not that difficult. The tutorial that is in the works uses a bunch of "around the house" things to show the process. Magazine paper as transfer paper, a mixture of Muriatic Acid (aka Hydrochloric Acid, HCl), which is available at any hardware store, and Hydrogen Peroxide, available at any grocery/drug store as etchant. So be on the look out for that in the upcoming weeks.

jkokura

Brian, my only word for you is.

Finally.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

thatirishsob

Unless you hired a team to etch for you there is no way you could keep it up. Thanks for what you do man, we all greatly appreciate it!

petesz

Fair enough!
I really do need to learn how to etch my own boards soon anyway..
And it sounds like you might need to do some hiring! If only I lived over there ha!

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: thatirishsob on April 19, 2011, 03:55:34 PM
Unless you hired a team to etch for you there is no way you could keep it up.

That'd be cool!!! Yes do what you need Bean. I'm sure If we ever wanted to make an old project you'd let us use a layout to etch.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

camsna

Do what you gotta do, Beanster! I'd hate to think that my silly desire to reproduce effects helps to throw your life out of balance!!!

If you need to retire even more projects to squeeze in nap time, I'm all for it ;)

bangerang101

Yeah, don't overwork yourself man... just do what you can.

Also, I'm sure alot of us would be willing to help out, in any way we can, as well too. Just let us know.
Owner of Luck Duck Pedals (LDP)