News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How does JHS Panther work?

Started by knauerj, October 27, 2014, 09:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knauerj

Hey guys, sorry if this is a stupid question but I can't seem to find the answer. How does JHS (and Diamond) make an analog delay with tap tempo and divisions? Is it just built into the design or do they use something like the Taptation (but for bbd obviously). Thanks to anyone that can satisfy my curiosity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knauerj

To clarify, I'm not JHS fan boy...just curious if it is possible to do on a diy scale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selfdestroyer

It uses a PIC18F25K22 with some code on it.. I would think something like the TAPLFO code.

Left top is where the TAP control is located in this pic
http://proguitarshop.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/j/h/jhs-pedals-panther-delay-guts-c.jpg

Cody

midwayfair

You can also use that PIC as the clock driver. The guy who created the TAPLFO announced earlier this year he was working on a Flanger with the LFO and clock all coming from the same PIC -- in a 14-pin package. The molten voltage stuff uses the 28pin chip Cody linked to for a lot of stuff.

icecycle66

That thing looks fun to put together.
Little bit of SMD, little bit of through hole.

(Term "Little bit" used lightly.)

rumbletone

Quote from: icecycle66 on October 27, 2014, 10:44:02 PM
That thing looks fun to put together.
Little bit of SMD, little bit of through hole.

(Term "Little bit" used lightly.)

Interesting - any idea why he would use SMD for the control circuit and not for the audio?

aion

Quote from: rumbletone on October 28, 2014, 01:49:35 AM
Interesting - any idea why he would use SMD for the control circuit and not for the audio?

Audio snobs who would feel better about an all-through-hole signal path but wouldn't be concerned with SMD for control stuff.

(I would count myself among these.)