News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Gift idea for 8-year-old

Started by jubal81, November 02, 2014, 08:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m-Kresol

My (almost) 7 year old learned how to use a knife this summer, but I wouldn't trust giving him one just now, so I can understand your sister.
Don't know if this is an option, but I always found that a special trip is also something he'll remember, like a boat trip, hike, visit an water park (with lots of slides of course... if you're honest: you'll like it just as much as he will), cinema (the new madagascar penguins movie starts in november :D),...
if it has to be a "regular" gift, iow. something you'll give to him, it could be an audiobook CD (loved those when I was that age).
Also, I think the solar car is an awesome idea!
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

GermanCdn

As I collect knives like guitars, I'm all over the knife idea, but you need to get buy in from your sister first (trust me on this one).

You can actually get a Swiss Army knife with a blunted end on the blade (designed specifically for kids), so they can still cut things, they just can't stab anything.  bladematrix.com used to be the place to go for stuff like that, but I haven't bought off them in a long time.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

lars

Quote from: gtr2 on November 03, 2014, 06:32:20 AM
Anything remote controlled!!!
I know when I was 8, remote controlled off-road vehicles were just amazing. So that's a great thing to look into.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

raulduke

Yep. A remote control car was my favourite toy around that age.

It was an offroad thing, like a big monster truck.

I bloody well loved that truck.

Worst bit used to be waiting for the battery to charge (kids don't know how lucky they are with their fancy lithium batteries eh  ;D)

marmaliser

Quote from: raulduke on November 04, 2014, 01:48:08 AM
Yep. A remote control car was my favourite toy around that age.

It was an offroad thing, like a big monster truck.

I bloody well loved that truck.

Worst bit used to be waiting for the battery to charge (kids don't know how lucky they are with their fancy lithium batteries eh  ;D)
^^^This ^^This and ^This ....
If you want to encourage his creative / Technical side and buddy up to him you could buy him a Radio controlled car that needed building up with your help ....like my Tamiya Beetle of old.  Me and my dad spent all of xmas day building that bad boy up  <sigh>

raulduke

Yep mine was a Tamiya too!

My Dad also helped put mine and my brothers (he also had one) together on Xmas day.

One of my favourite toys ever.

Aaah those were the days....  :)

jubal81

Thanks for all the input, guys!

>He actually has a drum set he doesn't play with. I'm seriously considering taking my guitar setup with me so we can 'jam.'
>You're right, he LOVES legos and I'm afraid I'd get him something he already has.
>I love the outdoors suggestions, but it's going to be winter soon and I think I should save that for his b-day in April. In the spring, I took him to Looking Glass Rock trail, which is about 4 miles each way up a really steep mountain and he did great. Since it was tough, it made for a nice adventure.

>Asheville indeed! That's my hometown. Mast general store is the best.

Remote controlled vehicle does sound awesome. I think I'm going to check in to that.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

sonarchotic

Looking Glass/Shining Rock Wilderness is awesome!  Good uncle!

RobA

Quote from: GermanCdn on November 03, 2014, 04:10:22 PM
As I collect knives like guitars, I'm all over the knife idea, but you need to get buy in from your sister first (trust me on this one).

You can actually get a Swiss Army knife with a blunted end on the blade (designed specifically for kids), so they can still cut things, they just can't stab anything.  bladematrix.com used to be the place to go for stuff like that, but I haven't bought off them in a long time.

We got my son that Swiss Army knife as his first knife. One warning is that they are still very sharp! That's good though because the accidental little cuts are nice and clean and heal easily ;) -- that really is a selling point to mom.

For outdoors kinda stuff, a set of binoculars are nice. If you are thinking the software/game side of things, Kerbal Space Program is mega cool.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

GermanCdn

I bought a couple of those SAKs for my nephews, but was told to not give it to them until such a point as they were responsible enough for them.  The following weekend they came over to visit, and while I thought I had hidden all my knives, there was a Ken Onion (pretty sure it was a Speedsafe Kershaw, and they figured out the lock in like two seconds) knife that slid between the couch cushions, which of course they managed to find, play with, and cut themselves (had to explain to the SIL that sharp knives were better than dull knives, and that chicks did scars, neither of which won me any points).  At that point it was deemed they would never be responsible enough for knives.

So I gave them each a guitar and an amp.  SIL wasn't too impressed with that either.  Told her I could sell them and buy a drum kit if she wanted.  That ended the discussion.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jubal81

Quote from: GermanCdn on November 05, 2014, 06:08:51 AM
I bought a couple of those SAKs for my nephews, but was told to not give it to them until such a point as they were responsible enough for them.  The following weekend they came over to visit, and while I thought I had hidden all my knives, there was a Ken Onion (pretty sure it was a Speedsafe Kershaw, and they figured out the lock in like two seconds) knife that slid between the couch cushions, which of course they managed to find, play with, and cut themselves (had to explain to the SIL that sharp knives were better than dull knives, and that chicks did scars, neither of which won me any points).  At that point it was deemed they would never be responsible enough for knives.

So I gave them each a guitar and an amp.  SIL wasn't too impressed with that either.  Told her I could sell them and buy a drum kit if she wanted.  That ended the discussion.

Doh. OK, that's definitely out of the picture. thanks for the story- just what i needed.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

gtr2

Not sure if you have a lego store near you but you can buy bricks by the pound :)  Although, a bit pricy.  Mom's keep pretty good tabs on the sets they have gotten.

My son loves anything remote controlled and he is 8, hence my suggestion haha....you can't go wrong with that IMO.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

playpunk

I carried an Emerson mini-commander every day until I started going into jail frequently... And wearing a suit every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

davent

Quote from: playpunk on November 05, 2014, 07:10:47 AM
I carried an Emerson mini-commander every day until I started going into jail frequently... And wearing a suit every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Number of years ago my wife was summoned for jury duty, got through the security check into the court house was going through her purse for something and there's the knife she's had for years...

I remember as a six year old getting a watch from my grandfather, felt pretty proud and all grown up with that, i can tell analogue time man! Not sure what value kids now would place on such a thing but was important and memorable to me.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

playpunk

When I was 9 the only thing I wanted in the whole world was a wristwatch. I saved my allowance ($1 a week) and got a sweeeeeeeet Casio. I slept with it on until my skin started to get all red and bubbly.

I also wanted a knife. Just get them a knife.
"my legend grows" - playpunk