News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

footswitch for 4 input amp?

Started by danwelsh, November 06, 2014, 03:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danwelsh

Hi guys, anyone know how a guy would build a footswitch for  4 input amp. What I mean is the jtm45 has 4 inputs and the classic setup is to put a patch cord from input 1 to input 2......I want to build a footswitch that will select between input 1 and 2 and both as they all sound different.  Anyone know how to tackle this?

jkokura

A simple A/B/Y switch would do it. You'd have to run two cables from the board to the amp, but essentially an ABY switch gives you the options of:
- Input 1
- Input 2
- Both Inputs

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

danwelsh

Quote from: jkokura on November 06, 2014, 03:49:25 PM
A simple A/B/Y switch would do it. You'd have to run two cables from the board to the amp, but essentially an ABY switch gives you the options of:
- Input 1
- Input 2
- Both Inputs

Jacob

Well that's cool.....would I need 3 foots witches? Or would a simple rotary knob do the trick?

jkokura

No, an ABY switch is usually just two footswitches. One selects both/AB, and the AB switch chooses A or B.

Here's a common example: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/morley-aby-channel-switcher

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

danwelsh

Quote from: jkokura on November 06, 2014, 03:57:19 PM
No, an ABY switch is usually just two footswitches. One selects both/AB, and the AB switch chooses A or B.

Here's a common example: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/morley-aby-channel-switcher

Jacob

Got it......thanks Jacob :)

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

danwelsh

jkokura

Yup, either will work,

The big difference is that the GGG option allows the user completely isolated outputs via the Transformers. I don't think thats really necessary in this instance.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

danwelsh

Okay. Thanks for the input Jacob :)......this will be done in approximately 2 hours lol

salty

I was looking at this and I am a bit confused. I see that an ABY is going to let him send his guitar to input A or input B or both at the same time....but when I think of jumpering channels on an amp, I am not sure the ABY gets that done. What I think he would need is a switch that would let him plug his guitar into it and then in one position send the signal to a single input on the amp, in another send it to the other position on the amp and then in the third, create a bridge between the two unused inputs on the amp....Am I misunderstanding this? When you jumper the channels, you plug into say input 1 on one channel and then input 2 of that same channel would be patched over to input one of the second channel.  So I would think an AB switch could let him choose between input 1 on channel one or input 2 on channel two and a second switch would bridge the gap between channel 1 input 2 and channel 2 input 1. This would require 4 cables to the amp. Am I jsut really missing the solution?

danwelsh

mgwhit

danwelsh

Quote from: mgwhit on November 07, 2014, 03:41:51 AM
And how did it work?

That's the funny thing......can't try it until the morning. Everyone went to bed.

danwelsh

mgwhit

Quote from: danwelsh on November 07, 2014, 03:57:22 AM
That's the funny thing......can't try it until the morning. Everyone went to bed.

;)  Oh well.  Looks great, though!