News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Icky Muff

Started by Stomptown, November 09, 2014, 01:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stomptown

I got another project boxed up and verified this weekend! This one is an MXR micro Amp in front of a violet ram's head Muff multi one one PCB. The idea to pair the two is based off Jack White's setup and it's definitely balls-to-the-wall fuzzy goodness in a box!

I've been in an etching slump lately (more pitting than I'd like), but I'm pretty stoked on the layout/graphic for this one. I used a 1590XX enclosure which was a first for me.

I'm working on adding these and a couple other projects to my web store for anyone who is interested in one. I'll throw up an announcement in the buy/sell/trade forum later today.

Cheers,
Jon

chuckbuick

Killer build.  I dig that knob/switch layout.

I've been wanting to try that combo but just haven't built a Micro Amp yet.

Leevibe

This looks so good! I love that you made it look like an old school TV set. You could use the extra space in there as a carrying case for a couple 1590a builds!

selfdestroyer

Another great one Jon. You are really busting out the new layouts left and right. Can't wait to get my hands on a few of them. I check your site daily. lol

Cody

Stomptown

Quote from: Leevibe on November 09, 2014, 03:05:45 PM
You could use the extra space in there as a carrying case for a couple 1590a builds!

Haha! I was thinking about a battery but cramming a couple twinkies in there never occured to me!

Quote from: selfdestroyer on November 09, 2014, 04:14:52 PM
Another great one Jon. You are really busting out the new layouts left and right. Can't wait to get my hands on a few of them. I check your site daily. lol

Cody

Thanks Cody!  I've been working on the site for the last few hours and I finally added the new stuff! 

jubal81

Really creative and great looking! Dig it!
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

lincolnic

Damned if that isn't some elegant wiring. Great build!

m-Kresol

Superb inside and out.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

luks999

Great idea :) fantastic looking pedal inside & out
would love to hear a demo ;)

Bret608

Hey yeah, that's his Raconteurs setup if I remember right! The Micro Amp is built into that custom Gretsch Triple-Jet type thing...anyway, really cool idea!

cooder

Very cool, very stylish box, inside out! Dig it! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

hylandren

Great looking build and yes, the graphics layout looks very pro!

Quote from: Stomptown on November 09, 2014, 01:54:59 PM
I've been in an etching slump lately (more pitting than I'd like), but I'm pretty stoked on the layout/graphic for this one. I used a 1590XX enclosure which was a first for me.

I used to have the same issue, and it seems like I am more fanatical than most about pits. I'm not sure what you use for etchant, but I use Ferric Chloride, and after ironing on the printed resist, I started going over the areas i don't want etched with nail enamel.  I haven't had a single pit since. After I etch, the nail enamel also comes off fairly easily with acetone. IF you're using Ferric chloride, you might give it a try.

Stomptown

Quote from: hylandren on November 10, 2014, 10:25:32 AM
Great looking build and yes, the graphics layout looks very pro!

Quote from: Stomptown on November 09, 2014, 01:54:59 PM

I used to have the same issue, and it seems like I am more fanatical than most about pits. I'm not sure what you use for etchant, but I use Ferric Chloride, and after ironing on the printed resist, I started going over the areas i don't want etched with nail enamel.  I haven't had a single pit since. After I etch, the nail enamel also comes off fairly easily with acetone. IF you're using Ferric chloride, you might give it a try.

Thanks for the tip!

I use ferric chloride as well but I think my issue has more to do with the transfer process than anything else.  In the past I used model paint to coat the printed resist but I do prefer a little pitting so I stopped doing that.  I just can't figure out what I'm doing different that is affecting the transfer!Oh well, I'll just keep spinning away and hopefully turn some straw into gold!  ;D

GazMX5

I love this. Red and white wire with black solder mask is a nice White Stripes touch. Any sound clips?

Stomptown

Quote from: GazMX5 on November 11, 2014, 04:29:54 AM
I love this. Red and white wire with black solder mask is a nice White Stripes touch. Any sound clips?

Thanks! I will try to put a sound clip together soon...