News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I think I may have an addiction

Started by stevie1556, November 11, 2014, 08:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevie1556

I think I've got an addiction to SMD. I haven't got round to verifying all the boards yet, but it's the start of an epic pedal board collection!

2x buffers (only the Cornish Buffer is shown)
SHO clone
Lovepedal Purple Plexi
RaD
RaD with tone and feedback controls
Lofo Mofo
OCD
Tape Fuzz
Zen Drive
Sparkle Booster (not shown)
Sparkle Booster Deluxe
Green Giant
Compressor using a vactrol
SWAW
One that for the life of me, I can't remember what it is

I've got a few verified, but I didn't realise I did this many board layouts. Got a few more in the works as well, which should keep me busy for a while :)

cooder

Ok, thanks for the warning... :o

... indeed a great batch of projects waiting to get their smd part fix, awesome boards!  8)
BigNoise Amplification

wgc

You're in good company on this end.  Cool stuff!

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

haveyouseenhim

Haha. I got a laugh from seeing my picture. That's chromsphere's LPB and a syringe of flux.

It's very addictive.   I haven't built or posted in months, but seeing that is making me want to chase the dragon some more.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

chuckbuick

alanp

I'd say doing PCB layouts in general get addictive.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

:o People are just not going to understand dude. That's some twisted shit you're into.  ;)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

sturgeo

Crikey, if i have any new boards come in i get the shakes until i populate and verify it!

I did my first bit of SMD last night, just some SOT-23 J201's, it went a lot smoother than i anticipated  :D

stevie1556

Quote from: cooder on November 11, 2014, 09:27:10 AM
Ok, thanks for the warning... :o

... indeed a great batch of projects waiting to get their smd part fix, awesome boards!  8)

I want to get all my pedals in SMD at some point in the future, bloody expensive hobby this is :(
Quote from: wgc on November 11, 2014, 09:31:43 AM
You're in good company on this end.  Cool stuff!
Are you doing SMD boards then? I would love to see more on here!

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on November 11, 2014, 10:59:41 AM
Haha. I got a laugh from seeing my picture. That's chromsphere's LPB and a syringe of flux.

It's very addictive.   I haven't built or posted in months, but seeing that is making me want to chase the dragon some more.

I was sending my old phone off to one of the phone recycling sites and got all the pictures off it, and this was one of them. Hope ya don't mind me nicking it! :)

Pauls LPB was the first SMD design I did. my soldering was so bad I didn't even wire it up, but it started all these boards! I did use my normal solder though and not the tiny stuff he sent and recommended you use for it, and I think that was the problem.

Quote from: chuckbuick on November 11, 2014, 11:25:38 AM
You gotta feed the monkey, man.

Hahaha I love that saying!

Quote from: alanp on November 11, 2014, 06:42:42 PM
I'd say doing PCB layouts in general get addictive.

Yep, agreed. The first few are a pain but when you start making some design rules in your head, it definitely gets easier. Still getting used to designing them with the board mounted pots though, but the cornish buffer was the last one I did, I think the board layout took about 10 mins to do.

Quote from: juansolo on November 12, 2014, 12:24:36 AM
:o People are just not going to understand dude. That's some twisted shit you're into.  ;)

Don't follow the mainstream drugs, they just ain't as good!

Quote from: sturgeo on November 12, 2014, 12:44:14 AM
Crikey, if i have any new boards come in i get the shakes until i populate and verify it!

I did my first bit of SMD last night, just some SOT-23 J201's, it went a lot smoother than i anticipated  :D

Half the reason the boards haven't been built up yet is because I'm waiting on parts, the other reason is because I don't want them to be failures. If they are blank, I can still kinda called them successful ones :)

wgc

Y, I think almost all the pcbs I've done in the last 6 months are smd with a few exceptions. Screwed up a few layouts with newb mistakes but usually things are much better the 2nd time around anyway. I have a few through hole builds to finish, I'll get to them sometime.  Just got a couple more of my smd layouts in, should be up in the next few weeks.

Many of them are posted here, a few pcb by chuckbuick, a few by pickdropper and some pcb by me. (I have two from muddy fox to build up also.) They should come up with a search for topics by wgc in build reports or member projects.

Y, it is some twisted shit, and no one ever understands me. ;)

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings