News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PCB Designing Tutorials (Single layer etch)

Started by chromesphere, October 27, 2014, 01:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rullywowr

Quote from: culturejam on October 29, 2014, 08:26:49 PM

I'm especially interested in getting DipTrace working for schematic > PCB "tethering" the way Eagle does (for error checking, etc). That's the main reason I started with Eagle in the first place.

DipTrace schematic and PCB are not tethered as they are in Eagle. It's really not a big deal as this lets you drop parts directly on the PCB editor if you desire. To ensure the schematic matches the PCB you use the command "renew design" which makes the PCB match the schematic.  If I need to change something I will do the update in the schematic and simply run the update in the PCB (takes 5 seconds).

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

chromesphere

I decided to take the non-schematic route (pun-intented) for this tutorial as it is targeted specifically for people totally new to pcb layout.  I guess I could do a separate series on converting schematics to pcb's at some point, good idea. 
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

alanp

Interesting video, Chrome :)

Kinda reinforced for me why I didn't like diptrace, though -- I love the way that Eagle has the schematic and board so tightly linked (to where if only one is currently open, a big yellow and black warning stripe is stuck on the screen.) Maybe I'm paranoid, but I can't help but think that it cuts back on potential net issues, especially with complex projects, and also makes it easier to play around with component placement if you can see the net lines.

Thanks for linking them!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

chromesphere

Hi Alan,
To be honest I wasn't expecting a diptrace vs eagle debate to break out.  Why...?  It always does.  But again, I will state, these videos are not intended for people that are experienced with pcb layout.  Its a crash course and as such I have left out all of the schematic to pcb linking information that you would otherwise incorporate with pcb design workflow, which are as you would know, essential for advanced layouts.  Diptrace does all these things just like Eagle, so if that is your concern with diptrace then it is actually unwarranted.  I wouldn't judge Diptrace on these videos.  I'm really not showcasing the program as such.  Its just a fast get started into designing pcb's tutorial more then anything.

miter53

I just want to give a big thank you to Paul for these tutorials. I've struggled with Eagle in the past, but with Diptrace and your help (and the Madbean library!), I'm finally over the beginning hump of the learning curve.

Eternity Burst pcb that I will sleep on before sending off to OSH
"Only sick music makes money today."-Friedrich Nietzsche
My photography website: http://michaelteresko.com/

chromesphere

Excellent! Thanks for the feedback mitre I'm glad the videos helped mate.  Good luck with the burst!
Paul