News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Current Lover headroom/distortion

Started by Strategy, November 13, 2014, 10:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strategy

I built the v3207 version of Current Lover and it has pretty low headroom. Gets this kind of crusty fuzz pretty easily. is this the trade-off from using the current chips rather than doing a 15v version with 3007's? Is there any sort of mod I could look at to address this?
Sorry if this has already been covered in another thread (I did try a little searching)

Strategy

Scruffie

If i'm not mistaken, you're a synth guy right? What are you running in to it exactly? If a guitar, are the pickups high output?

Just trying to gauge if there's an issue with the build or the design, the 3207 does offer lower headroom yes but with a passive guitar it shouldn't be too bad unless you're playing hard.

Fixes? You could try adding some clipping in the feedback loop of the opamp prior to the BBD, might help a bit although it will alter the sound with the feedback turned up. You could add some series resistance up front of the BBD or drop the 5k6 resistor value in the opamp (although then you'll need to adjust the mixing resistors) and add gain later to make up for it but that'll introduce some noise. Otherwise really you'd need to add companding to the circuit which may as well be a redesign.

So... possibly you need to use an MN3007 & 15V, possibly there's an issue with your build.
Works at Lectric-FX

Strategy

I get the distortion whether guitar or drum machine or keyboard, whatever I put into it. My guitar is a hohner steinberger copy with stock pickups, I've refrained from putting humbuckers in precisely because I thought it might be too loud for some of these fx and things. I have to turn the guitar volume way down and then bring up gain after the flanger to make it work. Seems like converting this to the 3007 setting after the fact would be a huge pain in the arse, it's such a tight board.

Strategy

alanp

Cool Audio chips in general are noisy bastards. I've got a BL3207 in my ?Flange, quiet as a churchmouse.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

LaceSensor

Buy the mn3007 mn3101 and run at 15v
It's like a whole new pedal

Strategy

Thanks all
seems like such a hassle to get in there and switch some of the components...including the little jumpers...my chips are socketed but hmmm...maybe possible
thanks!!!
Strategy