News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

21st birthday present – part 1

Started by Hogharry, November 11, 2014, 02:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogharry

I should have posted this a long time ago but maybe I will catch up with myself soon! This one's a straight build of a GuitarPCB D'Lay that I built as a 21st birthday present for my son Dave. The background image is another simulated bit of physics generated by some of his computer programming. According to him it's the probability density of a hydrogen atom. I'm not one to argue but it looks like a blue doughnut to me.

This is the first time I've written on a pedal in binary! He loves it, which is the main thing.

...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

RobA

Quote from: Hogharry on November 11, 2014, 02:40:51 PM
This is the first time I've written on a pedal in binary!
And very appropriate for a digital delay.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

cooder

Cool again....! your pedals have certainly a scientific message going on.... 8)
BigNoise Amplification

mcasemo

This is awesome!  I just saw your Pork Barrel post, such a cool/sweet tradition with your son. 

Hogharry

Quote from: RobA on November 11, 2014, 04:45:49 PM

Especially true if you decode the binary.
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

RobA

Quote from: Hogharry on November 12, 2014, 12:50:41 AM

;D That is perfect!
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Hogharry

Quote from: RobA on November 12, 2014, 02:47:46 AM

;D That is perfect!
You've obviously decoded it, well done! It will be interesting to see how many people work it out...

RobA

Quote from: Hogharry on November 12, 2014, 06:59:12 AM
Quote from: RobA on November 12, 2014, 02:47:46 AM

;D That is perfect!
You've obviously decoded it, well done! It will be interesting to see how many people work it out...
Well, I suck at the first step that's needed, so I had to bring it back around to your Pork Barrel build and use Python as a crutch.

Hogharry

I honestly don't know the first thing about Python but I like what it does. I just used an online text to binary converter.

RobA

Since it seems that no one else is going to expose the hidden message, do you mind if I do? It really is perfect.

Hogharry

RobA

OK then, the message is a binary encoding of ASCII character codes and spells out "Many happy returns." The whole idea is great. So, did the message inspire the choice of pedal or the other way around?

Hogharry

Quote from: RobA on November 15, 2014, 10:09:44 AM
OK then, the message is a binary encoding of ASCII character codes and spells out "Many happy returns." The whole idea is great. So, did the message inspire the choice of pedal or the other way around?
10/10 top of the class! The pedal came first because my son asked for a delay. I knew he would like the D'Lay because he had tried mine. The 21 was a must (to go with the Fuzz Factor 19 and Phase 20) but it took a while the think of the right message. I was originally just going to do the Many Happy Returns in text but then I remembered the idea of a binary message that I had for a previous build but never used. I just had to do it - especially on a digital delay!

I think it sounds good too! I left the warp pot out of this build. It's a lot of fun but he likes to turn things all the way up and I didn't want to have to dig a speaker cone out of his wall.  :D

wgc

Cool build, very clever!

Happy bday to your boy
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings