News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lowrider with switchable octaves

Started by willyboy, November 14, 2014, 08:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willyboy

Last spring a musician approached me and asked me if i could build him an octaver. Told him i never built one but was very willing to give it a try, and so i went with the Lowrider. He also asked if there was a way he could footswitch the octaves; i posted a topic in that regard.

So here'e the finished build i'm about to give him :

Left footswitch is for both the lower octaves, right switch is for the upper octave, and middle switch is bypass (duh!). I let you figure what are the LEDs here for.

The desing of the waterslide decal is all made by him. He named the pedal "Tranche Montagne" which could be translated as Mountain Slicer. He was inspired by some old folks legend here in Québec about a giant slicing mountains. So what has it to so with an octaver... simply because why not!
Another thing i have to give him all the credits is that he did all the drilling templates. The guy never ever made any DIY project, and all by himself he figured that he would need a Hammond 1590BB, and from there, positioned all the components for the tamplate. I was totally amazed.

For the MODs i had to do to add some footswitching, i went this way, which in terms of wiring the thing, looks something like this :

Finally, the the whole thing put into the box looks like this :

As you can see, it does fit in, but it's real tight. I must have spent an hour if not too with him, looking carefully at his template to make sure everything would fit in. Just look at the DC jack, i even had to fold its pins!

I'll meet the guy next weekend, in the meantime, i'll test it with my own gear to make sure it doesn't have any problems before i hand it to him.
I haven't failed, i've only found 10,000 ways that won't work
-Thomas Edison-

selfdestroyer

Super EPIC build you got there. I love.. really love the art work for this thing. Great job on the etchable switch daughter board.

Cody

cooder

Really clever, really well thought through and beautifully executed! Awesome sauce! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

m-Kresol

wow, this is really a great project! I like that you did your own daughter board for the switches. It sure doesn't look easy to fit everything..
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Matt

Agree with what's been said.  Very cool build, well designed and executed! Makes me want to take mine apart and add the extra switches.
Matt

Droogie

That is a fantastic idea and great execution!
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

diablochris6

This looks great. And "Mounain Slicer" sounds bad-ass in any language. Fantastic job!
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

lincolnic

This is so, so great. Fantastic work, both of you!

Hogharry

A great build! Fantastic inside and out.
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

wgc

Well, I stand up next to a mountain
And I chop it down with the edge of my hand
Well, I stand up next to a mountain
Chop it down with the edge of my hand
Well, I pick up all the pieces and make an island
Might even raise just a little sand
'Cause I'm a voodoo child
Lord knows I'm a voodoo child

That's what chopping a mountain has to do with an octaver

Great build, dig the graphics!
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

icecycle66

I like everything about this build.
Good job man.