News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Data Mining reveals extent solar activity damage

Started by atreidesheir, November 16, 2014, 12:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atreidesheir

Even low voltage systems appear to be affected by solar activity over time.
The end of the article says experts are looking into the effects on household electronics.
https://medium.com/the-physics-arxiv-blog/insurance-claim-data-reveals-the-hidden-damage-from-geomagnetic-storms-df5c2e4d895e

Wonder how battery powered systems and bbd chips and the like are affected.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

RobA

Totally fascinating and an ingenious approach to trying to figure it out. My conclusion is that we should only buy tube based equipment. I wonder if things like BBD's and Ge transistors are safer in-circuit or out. Either way, I think it's time to build a Faraday cage for all my semiconductor parts ;).
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

atreidesheir

Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

RobA

Quote from: atreidesheir on November 17, 2014, 03:27:45 PM
Even a small effect surprised me.
Yeah, I wouldn't have expected much of anything significant above the normal mucking up of things due to stray radiation. I wonder if you could get a similar correlation by looking at data errors in computer systems. I could be harder to see because of error correction in memory and stuff like that on the systems that would be of most interest, but it could be interesting.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).