News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sony Bravia LCD TV dying?

Started by wgc, November 18, 2014, 05:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wgc

Heyo

I've got a 7 yo Bravia LCD TV that is developing a green vertical line at 1/3 from the right side.  It has gotten bigger over the last week. I don't watch that much tv, but when I do, I don't want that kind of distraction. At the rate it seems to be growing, I figure there's a few weeks before it becomes unwatchable even for the kids.

Anyway, is this something that can be fixed diy, or is it simply dying and not worth the trouble?  It was a really nice tv when we bought it. New stuff is better/cheaper now, but I hate the idea of disposing of things if I can fix them with a little effort.

Just looking for opinions and ideas of things to check.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

gtr2

I'd do a search on the model number and see if there are any common problems that fit your description.

I did that with my panasonic plasma and it's been going another 2 years so far with my fix.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

wgc

Yeah, did that, though admit not going too deep yet.  Most of it revolved around unplugging the tv and waiting 30 sec.  Didn't fix it.

In the past ('94?), I have done some lcd assy with zebra strips, etc.  Critical to keep things clean. Suspecting some kind of delamination failure as a result, vs an ic or passive somewhere failing.  Hoping I'm wrong and can just look for the thing that's cracked, hot, etc.

But things have changed a lot since the zebra strip days I imagine, and I haven't kept up.  Knowing the dabblers and experts we have here, wouldn't be surprised if there's expertise and experience.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement!
e.e. cummings

wgc

ok, did some more research, just in case you're in the same boat some day.

In many cases, the timing control board is responsible for this issue.  You can buy a new pcb for about $70.  Or try to fix the old one, which I'd be inclined to try.

However, it might also be the power supply or the main board. 

You can put the tv in menu, and if the line disappears, its the timing control board.   If not, its the main board, the display or the PS.

My line didn't disappear.  So I'll need to open it up and see if there's any swollen caps, etc. that are hopefully easy to spot and swap out.
e.e. cummings

cooder

I had a Uniden (really...! ;)) LCD TV blow up on me, actually my partner when she switched in on and sparks flew, smoke etc and then silence.
It was the powersupply board, a power mosfet was goneburger and some of the filtercaps looked suspicious. rather than fixing the individual culprits (because there might have been more on the board stuffed that didn't show obvious signs) I bought a full replacement power supply pcb which wasn't terribly expensive, popped it in and she was all go again.
So, for what it's worth and this is obviously not the same make and issue, I stilll found plopping the whole new board in the best way in my case.
And a win for DIY, because just getting a repairman to look at it and getting a quote would have been half of the price of replacement pcb. And he would have done the same thing, replace the whole board, just at three or four times the price.
BigNoise Amplification

gordo

Same issue as amps.  The electro caps in the power supply go south, and get cooked especially fast due to heat.  Worth starting there before going with the timing board.  I had my old Tivo on life support thru power supply issues/rebuilds and hard drive replacements (and re-imaging) till they came out with a $50 over the air version that was a no brainer.  Worth the time to go over the power supply.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

wgc

Thanks guys!

I'd feel better about the issue if it was at least exciting in some way that didn't anyone.

I will open it up in the next few days and see what's what. Could be the ps, will probably look there first. I have a sinking feeling it's the display though. I have a way to check but need some compressed air.
e.e. cummings

rullywowr

I've had good luck with a Sony LCD that had a ribbon cable loose.  Try to gently remove and reseat all ribbon connections. Look on YouTube if you don't know how. 

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

stevie1556

Hopefully it's a nice cheap fix for you

wgc

Thanks guys.
Good call on the ribbons. I'm quite familiar with those so no worries.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I don't have much to lose here. But the idea of potentially fixing it with something simple is pretty tantalizing.
e.e. cummings

gordo

Right?  You get to strut around the place like a peacock if you fix it.

...yeah....rebuilt my TV..... ;D
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

wgc

e.e. cummings

cooder

Quote from: gordo on November 22, 2014, 08:56:50 AM
Right?  You get to strut around the place like a peacock if you fix it.

...yeah....rebuilt my TV..... ;D
oh yeah.... and the lady knows then that building music stuff is really hot and sensible if it helps to fix the ol' telly....! ;) 8)
BigNoise Amplification

wgc

Hmmm.  Not so much, but she'd be really glad the tv is fixed. ;)
e.e. cummings

RobA

Quote from: wgc on November 22, 2014, 04:09:59 PM
Hmmm.  Not so much, but she'd be really glad the tv is fixed. ;)
Spell it out in cash saved ;D. Whenever I DIY a fix on the car or around the house, that's what makes me feel better about the money I spend elsewhere.

On the other hand, I was in a shop yesterday looking for something else and happened to glance at the 4k Sony TV across the isle. Those things look incredible! It made me want to buy one and I don't even own a TV. I had to talk myself down by realizing that I've got absolutely zero content to display on the thing.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).