if diode part number is "diode# / another #" which 2nd # is good for Sunking2?

Started by dont-tase-me-bro, November 18, 2014, 06:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dont-tase-me-bro

Good evening, or morning/day, depending on your time zone.

Noob here.  If there were a diode that came in 10 different varieties, which are the diode number, and then slash 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14 and 18, which one is good for standard pedal usage? Looking at the spec sheet, it corresponds to voltage.  My noobness thinks 9 would be the answer, but I get messed up when I go beyond the normal bill of materials.  I have attached a screen shot.

Thanks,
Pat
I thought this would save me money.

dont-tase-me-bro

I was going to try them in the Sunking II, although I'm not sure how much that affects which one is needed

Thomas_H

The datasheet seems to be showing a range of Zener diodes.

If i understand it right you are looking for alternative diodes to use in the Sunking.
The Zeners are not what you want in there. You can look for Germanium 1n60 or else, schottky BAT 41-46, 1n4001-7, 1n5817.
I you want the sound of the original you should stick with what is in the BOM.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

TGP39

One exception to this rule is the OA126 Zener diode.  This is a fantastic choice for the Sunking II project. The following is a little explanation from Jon(Midwayfair);

Here's a datasheet with a list of all the OA diodes in one place:
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/OA128-datasheet.html

OA128 is silicon. OA126 is a Z (zener) diode, but it "passes" the heat test (Fv rises with finger heat, and it has pretty severe reverse leakage when it's warm), I've seen them listed as germanium in more than one place, and they sure as hell sound different from zener diodes I know are silicon. The lower wattage could also be a clue (I've seen other germanium zener diodes and they're always 1/4 watt Both clip around 0.6-0.7v. I don't know the reverse voltage on the OA126.

OA is *supposed* to be the continental designation for germanium. The silicon diodes are usually BA, and zener ZA. There's a handful of outliers on the OA series, and I have no idea why that is.

Hope this helps.....Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

dont-tase-me-bro

Thanks.  It was for the oa126 - I had seen it in midway fair's diode write up, but was confused by all the suffixes.  I'll leave it off for now.

Thanks,
Pat

midwayfair

Quote from: Thomas_H on November 18, 2014, 10:49:49 PM
The datasheet seems to be showing a range of Zener diodes.

+1. They're 5V, 6V, 7V, ... 18V. It's the voltage at which the diode reverse conducts. None of them matter when you're using parallel diodes, since the signal will never exceed .65V (or whatever). Other diodes have reverse breakdown voltages as well, like 20V or so for many LEDs and silicon diodes, I think, but they don't reliably conduct at that number. Zener diodes are manufacturered to reverse conduct at a specific voltage.

dont-tase-me-bro

Then for an OA126 in the sunking 2, the version doesn't really matter, as it is not being used in the traditional application?  If that is the case, that would be cool