News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tuner out/mute

Started by Hogharry, November 24, 2014, 11:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogharry

I'm building a 2 in 1 pedal and I want to put a tuner out/mute footswitch before he first effect. Any advice on how to best go about it?
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

Rockhorst

Could you be a bit more specific?

Hogharry

I can see how to do the switching with a 3PDT as an A/B switch between the tuner out jack and the input of the footswitch for the first effect but I've seen diagrams with the A/B switch grounding the input to the switch for the first effect when the input is sent to the tuner, which didn't look like a good idea. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something. Could be I'm overthinking it...
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

jkokura

A simple A/B switch, with the A output going to the first effect switch, and the B output going to the Tuner out jack will be fine.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Hogharry

Thanks Jacob, sounds like I am overthinking it. Am I right in thinking that grounding the input to the first effect switch is a bad idea? It seems to me that you'd be effectively grounding the amp input.

jkokura

No, you wouldn't be grounding the amp input. There's some circuitry in between the amp and that jack, so it's not that big a deal.

I think many amps inputs ground via switching jacks anyway. I'm not sure why you'd be concerned about it.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Hogharry

I'm not sure either to be honest Jacob, it must be all this lovely British rain we've been having lately. I will stop thinking about it, wire it up and test drive it.

Thanks,

Graham

GrindCustoms

You'll likely want that the output of the muting switch goes to ground.

So the input of everything after the mute switch is grounded. Why?

Let say you mute when your amp is cranked on the dirt channel or that you have dirt pedals on, you have your signal floating, in most case the amp of pedals will runaway into oscillation (feedback).

I've built quite a good load or Pre-Amp Input multi, grounding the output of the mute switch have proven itself to be relevant.

Rej
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Hogharry

Thanks for the confirmation Rej. I know you've built one or two pre-multis... ;D You will be interested to know that this one will be: Tuner/Mute > Love Squeeze > Klone. I read one of your posts about Klones with high gain amps so we tried it with my son's gear. Experiments with his Blackstar amps and a Klone were very successful - we got the amp gain down to 4 or 5. He said "it makes everything I've ever played before sound like £*@%", so I thought I should build him one. Not sure how the comp will work in this setup.