News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Brand new icar wah pot very noisey :(

Started by brejna, November 25, 2014, 09:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brejna

Hi guys, I am having problem with mine wah. Pot is noisey and scratchy but only when I move it faster. Already returned it back to seller, they said no problems they will send new one and in the end they send the same pot. Could something else be problem except potentiometer?
Brane

jball85

If there are any bad/supect solder joints on the footswitch or pot, this could create some noise. Another note.... My advice for wah builds or overhauls, is to invest more money in a quality pot. I bought an in expensive I CAR pot for my last wah build. The thing measured about 88k and the taper was really hard to play with.

brejna

Quote from: jball85 on November 25, 2014, 11:05:59 AM
If there are any bad/supect solder joints on the footswitch or pot, this could create some noise. Another note.... My advice for wah builds or overhauls, is to invest more money in a quality pot. I bought an in expensive I CAR pot for my last wah build. The thing measured about 88k and the taper was really hard to play with.
Thanks for advice, I don't think there is problem with switch. I've paid Icar pot 25 euros, so it wasn't cheap and it readings are around 114k. Did you try hotpotz?

marauder

Faulty 220nf caps connected to the pot can leak dc, sounds like a scratchy pot.
I swapped a pot when it was the caps.

brejna

Quote from: marauder on November 25, 2014, 01:46:06 PM
Faulty 220nf caps connected to the pot can leak dc, sounds like a scratchy pot.
I swapped a pot when it was the caps.
Thanks for advice, change it and still the same..

EDIT: to be sure I put another one and no changes

brejna

I've disassemble the potentiometer and clean it from inside carefully with a contact spray and noise and scratch is gone! 
Hope I'll be in peace some time with mine wah pot.  ;D
Thanks guys for help
Cheers
Brane