News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zombie Tramp II

Started by juansolo, November 26, 2014, 05:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

I've lost count of the number of muffs I've made on Grind's Ultrastoner board, yet this is the first one to make it into a enclosure. The US project was a collaboration between ourselves and Grind to create the one muff. The muff to rule them all. We think we've pretty much nailed it, but don't take our word for it, get one from Grind and give it a try.

This one has a zombie on it, so it's for Matt. Indeed, in celebration of the first pedal we ever made for him, we've once again made a Zombie Tramp. Didn't have a lot of space to play with for the decal and it fitted nicely, so there it is!

No lighting for my light tent at the moment so the pics aren't great (had to spend some time in Photoshop). Pics of the Peach Fuzz clone I've done are going to have to wait until they turn up. The pics were beyond redemption.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Jakes Dad

Oh, that is just awful.  Matt is going to hate it.  You should just send it to me for proper disposal.

That is seriously nice.

Chuck

cooder

Looking fantastic, John! So what specs did you build on this board? Is it the Ultra Stoner BOM version?
I've got a board sitting here that rej has sent me and I'm considering which incarnation to build...
BigNoise Amplification

davent

What transistors are those with the radiused edges?
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

juansolo

Straight Ultrastoner, but bear in mind that's a proto board so slightly different to the released one in a couple of places.

Transistors are 2SC1327. There's a guy on ebay that sells them in lots of six. They're good muff trannies. Though we've been unable to secure any in bulk like we did the first time with him as he seems to ignore emails now. One suspects he doesn't want to do the deal he did with us the first time when we were the only people who bought them ;) They require a bit of a leg twist in normal board, but they go in the Stoner with it's universal trannie thingy.

pickdropper

Quote from: juansolo on November 26, 2014, 07:46:19 PM
Straight Ultrastoner, but bear in mind that's a proto board so slightly different to the released one in a couple of places.

Transistors are 2SC1327. There's a guy on ebay that sells them in lots of six. They're good muff trannies. Though we've been unable to secure any in bulk like we did the first time with him as he seems to ignore emails now. One suspects he doesn't want to do the deal he did with us the first time when we were the only people who bought them ;) They require a bit of a leg twist in normal board, but they go in the Stoner with it's universal trannie thingy.

Is Universal Trannie the name of your next build?

Nice build, btw.  :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

davent

Thank you Juan, what's the gain like on yours, datasheet shows various ranges encompassing 180- 1040. Store in Toronto that's always had a good selection of 2sc's, will have a look see next time i visit.

http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets2/44/44788_1.pdf

I've  a bunch of 2sc1845's that measure ~550 and a variety of others that measure between 100 & 200.

And always great looking builds from you!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

juansolo

They range from around 300 to 600hfe IIRC. Most tend to be around the middle.

550 will be fine.

juansolo

Quote from: pickdropper on November 26, 2014, 07:48:19 PM

Would be an interesting decal!

pickdropper

Quote from: juansolo on November 26, 2014, 08:25:06 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on November 26, 2014, 07:48:19 PM

Would be an interesting decal!

Unfortunately, you'd have to put decals on both sides of the box.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Thomas_H

Your artwork is getting better all the time :-)
DIY-PCBs and projects:

Tremster

*Creates PCB for top jacks.
Uses side jacks.*
:P :D

juansolo

Quote from: Tremster on November 27, 2014, 09:24:27 AM
*Creates PCB for top jacks.
Uses side jacks.*
:P :D

Oh don't get me started on that. Bloody colonials with their 125B enclosures ;) They're not as easy to get here and are a little big. Much prefer the 1590B-a-likes from Camden Boss (slightly wider, a bit shallower and fractionally shorter than a 1590B). Very compact. It doesn't really show in that pic, but it's a lo-profile build just to get it in there.

I also prefer side jacks. It's the most electrically sensible (shortest possible runs to the jacks, they don't pass over anything that could in any way interfere), and I like just having all the switching smashed as tightly as possible at the bottom so I just add the effect on top.

The board being a 125B board was irksome. It's cost me one enclosure already, because I thought it'd fit without a bit of fettlery (it doesn't), and means that my own box of muff is actually going to end up being a triple in a 1590DD. Bah, and humbug! I do get to use Thomas' X switch in that one though, which will be fun.

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Hogharry

Neat, as always John. Are you still using the sticky labels?
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...