News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Blender Pen

Started by angrykoko, December 03, 2014, 11:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angrykoko

Has anyone tried a blender pen for enclosure labeling & art?

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

playpunk

no but I want to. One of the Amazon reviews claims it works on metal... can't imagine it being any worse than using the freaking iron.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

jubal81

Very cool. Think I'll pick one of those up. It's for laser-toner use, so it might actually work for etch resist. Neat!
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Hangingmonkey

Looks interesting, I'll order one today and report back

PhiloB

Very intersting, I'd assume it works with color laser printers as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobA

Looks cool. The reviews on Amazon are mixed, but almost all the bad reviews are for the shipping and not the product, so it's a bit hard to tell. One of the reviewers mentioned that xylene and a brush will work just as well. Xylene's pretty cheap at a hardware store.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

diablochris6

From what I have seen, it can work with color and B&W. I believe its possible to do this with straight xylene as well. It might be cheaper to buy a container of xylene or acetone if you plan on a bunch of builds this way.

The images I have seen online indicate that it doesn't always make the cleanest transfer, but if you want a little roughness to your look, it would work.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

RobA

Quote from: diablochris6 on December 03, 2014, 01:45:01 PM
From what I have seen, it can work with color and B&W. I believe its possible to do this with straight xylene as well. It might be cheaper to buy a container of xylene or acetone if you plan on a bunch of builds this way.

The images I have seen online indicate that it doesn't always make the cleanest transfer, but if you want a little roughness to your look, it would work.

I just tried it with acetone and it didn't work very well. I just got a faint ghost of a transfer. Could have been my technique though.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

jubal81

Quote from: RobA on December 03, 2014, 01:46:43 PM
Quote from: diablochris6 on December 03, 2014, 01:45:01 PM

I just tried it with acetone and it didn't work very well. I just got a faint ghost of a transfer. Could have been my technique though.

Yikes. Acetone is what I use to dissolve toner.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

RobA

Quote from: jubal81 on December 03, 2014, 01:49:49 PM
Quote from: RobA on December 03, 2014, 01:46:43 PM
[...]
Yikes. Acetone is what I use to dissolve toner.
Yeah, me too. That's why I figured I'd give it a try. My printer's toner might be part of the problem too. It's one of the infamous Brother models.

nieradka

Straight xylene does work, Ive used it (I prefer pnp blue which I have at work). Make sure you use it under a hood, or with a lot, a lot of ventilation; a small spill out of the jug will make you rather high.

BaklavaMetal

looking at the video it doesn't transfer toner completly.
In my expirience if the toner isn't completly transfered to the enclosure so that no toner is left on the paper, it won't work as an etch resist.

I hope somebody proves me wrong, im tired of all the sanding and ironing and cursing because one half of one letter hasn't transferred well so i have to start all over again.  :'(
Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women!
That is good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msTgvtQTEZ4&list=UUu0WQ4lkQv4LQS0n-AWCGTQ

angrykoko

I found this for making your own solution.
Distilled water + isopropyl alcohol + Glycerin
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

davent

My local art supply store has them for $3cdn versus the $5.50us on Amazon.com or the $14cdn on Amazon.ca, check around if you're looking to buy one.

https://www.currys.com/catalogpc.htm?CATEGORY=CHARTPAK_AD_MARKER_BLENDER
http://www.amazon.com/Chartpak-Ad-Markers-Colorless-Blender/dp/B0026HC7GU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/179-8876159-6522001

Book i have says to make sure to get the xylene markers as the alcohol versions won't work for toner transfers. Also says xylene and a brush will do the job but the markers are much more convenient.

For colour transfers, the colours get transfered in the reverse order of how they were printed so sounds like the colour transfer would look quite different from the original and be much less intense.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?