News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Woohoo!

Started by alanp, December 06, 2014, 04:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aballen

We're you able to repair or was it "restore from backup" time?   

ggarms

Quote from: madbean on December 06, 2014, 12:14:22 PM
I was sweating bullets on this one. The problem was the messages table crashed and could not be repaired through the normal way. That's basically the entire forum...all the posts. But, luckily the host was able to get it back for me. I kinda knew what they had to do but just wasn't exactly sure of all the steps to do it. But, I did learn about using shell commands to control mysql in the process...so there's that.

Anyway, time for a new backup.

And I thought I was being irrational when I got a little worried! Either way, I'm glad you worked it out. As I'm sure a lot of people are.

madbean

Quote from: aballen on December 06, 2014, 01:36:50 PM
We're you able to repair or was it "restore from backup" time?

It was repaired, not restored. The problem was the the repair kept failing because PHPmyAdmin could not create the necessary temp file to do it. This required shutting the sql server down and running a magic command to make it happen. I've requested the host send me the exact steps they used so I know for the future. I know it wasn't hard, but I had trouble finding the right commands to use to do all this (I don't know jack about sql). I need to find the time to learn about sql, PHP and shell stuff at some point.

aballen

Repair is always better if you can do it. 

Lots of good info on the web for SQL/MySQL.  You can spend an entire career learning that stuff though. 

Sounds like your host/admins know what they are doing.  It does seem like a lifetime, but it was fixed relatively quickly.

Glad it's all good!

Luke51411

DIYSB has been down some recently... I don't know what I would do if they were both down at the same time :o

lars

Quote from: madbean on December 06, 2014, 01:58:33 PM
I need to find the time to learn about sql, PHP and shell stuff at some point.
I spent an entire year working with sql, flash, and PHP one time. It is not fun. You literally start dreaming of code and have variable variables floating around in your head. Then you try passing those variable variables through multi-dimensional arrays and your whole life becomes <?bad syntax"aaggghhhh">.

micromegas

Quote from: lars on December 06, 2014, 04:20:37 PM
Quote from: madbean on December 06, 2014, 01:58:33 PM
I need to find the time to learn about sql, PHP and shell stuff at some point.
I spent an entire year working with sql, flash, and PHP one time. It is not fun. You literally start dreaming of code and have variable variables floating around in your head. Then you try passing those variable variables through multi-dimensional arrays and your whole life becomes <?bad syntax"aaggghhhh">.

I've been working on web development 13 months already and my contract expires on December and, even though it has been useful and has it's great moments, I feel kind of relieved.

PHP and mysql are less of a nightmare compared to javaScript, that thing is illogical and virtually undebuggable
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

davent

Happy to be home again.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?